Author Topic: Beetle Juice  (Read 1803 times)

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Beetle Juice
« on: March 05, 2018, 05:46:50 am »
Has anyone tried Beetle Blaster Oil in beetle traps, jails and beetle blasters?
https://www.mannlakeltd.com/shop-all-categories/hive-colony-maintenance/medications-treatments-herbicides/hive-beetle/beetle-blaster-oil
I ordered a bottle in hopes that it helps.
I mentioned this to an old bee gal yesterday.  She admitted that she uses it and thought it helped attract more SHB.
Honestly, the only hive I have not seen SHB in is my step daughter's.  She lives in an urban area, her hive is placed on pavement and in the sun. 

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
Re: Beetle Juice
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 09:43:54 am »
I've got some in my traps now, for the first time.  Over the winter I only saw one or two beetles actually in the traps.  The others were running across the comb looking for a place to lay eggs.  I guess one or two in the trap is an improvement over what I'd had in the past, which was none.  Before I was using plain vegetable oil.

I think I've had the most success with the Freeman boards, but only when I stayed on top of things and kept cooking oil or soapy water covering the entire surface of the tray.

Never argue with drunks or crazy people

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 11:28:44 am »
the newer beetle jails have a separate compartment in the center for bait. I've tried using a butter flavored oil in some traps & honey in others. the beetles did seem to go for that over the honey. I also found as many beetles hiding under the flanges of the beetle blasters as were actually going into the trap! I also still take my battery powered vacuum along for heavily infested hives to suck them up. too many to squish. I'm hoping the couple of prolonged cold snaps we had this winter will slow them down some.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 04:21:44 pm »
rober, I checked my colonies last week and sure enough the nasty varmits were alive.  The weaker colonies were infested the most, of course.  It is my understanding they over winter right along with the cluster of bees. 
Instead of honey, I wonder if pollen would be more attractive to SHB in Beetle jails.  SHB hiding under the flanges of the trap?  Try using flat headed thumb tacks to hold the beetle jail tight.