Author Topic: Star of Bethlehem HELP!  (Read 5183 times)

Offline Les

• Gold Member
Star of Bethlehem HELP!
« on: May 06, 2018, 03:09:52 pm »
This plant is the bane of my gardening existence!!!  It is extremely invasive and I have been doing battle with it for the last 2-3 years since it's seeds blew in from the wooded lot.  It is now starting to take over our lawn.  In my gardens I can dig it up but it develops into bulbs and if you miss one stinking little fiber, it will still spread. Plus the bulbs are deeply rooted, so you have dig way done with a shovel to get at them.  Last year Ken and I spent an afternoon digging and pulling. Does anyone have any experience with getting rid of this!  I have done lots of research and the ONLY thing it seems that it will get rid of it with numerous repeated treatments is commercial grade Round Out, which I truly do not want to use.  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline yes2matt

Re: Star of Bethlehem HELP!
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 09:00:27 am »
How big is the infested area?

I mean: is it something you could put chickens or turkeys or geese or goats on?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 09:14:35 am by yes2matt »

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 11:26:57 am »
i don't have any experience with this stuff, i have a friend who is a horticulturist.

boy did i get an education about it. digging it out, well i am sure you read up on it, and you can't pull them.

roundup apparently does not get the job done. look up 'speed zone lawn and weed killer'.  it is a herbicide, but apparently it takes care of this stuff with one application and does not affect lawn.

i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Les

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 03:27:43 pm »

Riverbee, it is a b**** of a plant. While I was web searching this plant, I came across a garden page that recommended planting this.  I posted on their page how irresponsible it was for them to recommend this plant, especially for new gardeners!  Smoke was coming out my ears!!!  I have read that repeated applications of commercial round up along with that stuff that makes things adhere to plants mixed in.  I see this as my summer battle.  I am buying a back pack sprayer for convenience.

Yes2matt, we are residential so no goats allowed here.  It is taking over our entire back yard and my landscape beds.

This will be my husband’s view of me all summer :laugh:

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 10:06:11 pm »
les, yeah that stuff is incredible! try the 'speed zone lawn and weed killer', this is the stuff my friend recommended, says it works much better than commercial grade roundup and kills the stuff, DEAD, DEAD, DEAD............ :D

hopefully you won't have to be bending over all summer, but then again your husband probably doesn't mind seeing your backside......... :D :D :laugh:

funny pic btw!
Forum Sponsor

Offline Les

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2018, 04:26:55 am »
Every day has been breezy enough that I don’t want to spray for fear of drift.  So for now, I run around my gardens and the woods ripping off the flowers so they at least can’t spread seed by wind.  I am a woman possessed LOL!

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 12:48:20 am »
............ :D :D :D
Forum Sponsor