Author Topic: GOULASH, SOME CALL IT STEW  (Read 11259 times)

Offline Marbees

GOULASH, SOME CALL IT STEW
« on: January 12, 2014, 11:27:22 pm »
Get 5 lb of onions

slice it in wedges, than process it to tiny pieces

throw it in a big pot, add just two glasses of water, work it till onion becomes translucent, add some salt, keep adding water as it evaporates. When onion is done add cubed beef, if you have venison you can replace beef up to 40%. On 5 lb of onions I go with 20 lb of meat

Now you can transfer all of it in the outdoor copper pot, and get out of the kitchen

Garage is a nice place to finish this thing, assuming you have a fridge there, with lots of cold ones ;) ;)
Add water, some green peppers for flavour, bay leaf, when starts boiling add few spoons of paprika, both sweet and hot, and cook for two hours.

After an hour of cooking I add one can of tomato juice, the other one from the picture I drink :D
Two or three teaspoons of black pepper too, and more salt if needed. Fix it to your taste.
When I cook this for boys only, it's served with beer and crusty italian bread. If ladies are present then I serve it with pasta or cooked potato. Then we offer wine too  ;D
Bee Remarkable

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
Re: GOULASH, SOME CALL IT STEW
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 12:06:22 pm »
"When I cook this for boys only, it's served with beer and crusty italian bread. If ladies are present then I serve it with pasta or cooked potato. Then we offer wine too  ;D"

marbees, for my dad, the beer went INTO the pot, oh and extra for him...... :D
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 02:33:23 pm »
Wow. I don't know if we ever had that much meat in the house, let alone on the stove at one time. How long does that last in your household?
It looks great, so I suppose all the work and time that goes into it is why you make such a large batch?
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 04:33:36 pm »
Going to have to try that!!!    I usually cook the onions in a pan with real butter, as you said, just until they become translucent..  Usually use hamburger, sometimes mix a pound of ground pork in as well..    Italian bread would be good, we usually make garlic bread with cheese to go with..  Havent tried it with wine, but beer is always acceptable!
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 06:05:54 pm »
Perry.......That is THE BEST avatar ever!   :laugh:
Lee_Burough

Offline Marbees

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 11:07:15 pm »
riverbee: marbees, for my dad, the beer went INTO the pot, oh and extra for him...... :D

:D actually there are stews that ask for a beer ingredient  ;D

For goulash (Hungarian word) some use wine (riesling) to achieve slight acidity or few spoons of vinegar, I prefer tomato juice.

Perry: Wow. I don't know if we ever had that much meat in the house, let alone on the stove at one time. How long does that last in your household?
It looks great, so I suppose all the work and time that goes into it is why you make such a large batch?

Perry, it lasts about 30 minutes :D :D
This recipe I make twice a year, Christmas party for our guys and business friends, and second time in the spring, first Saturday in May.
Every time they say, this is the best ever... :D
Bee Remarkable