Author Topic: Paper Wasp Stages  (Read 1936 times)

Offline The15thMember

• Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Paper Wasp Stages
« on: July 02, 2022, 07:02:38 pm »
Last night while us adults were watching a rom-com (Table 19, I would highly recommend it) my young siblings were being biologists.  They found a small paper wasp nest under the eaves of their chicken barn, and they fly-swattered the four adults who were guarding the nest to death and took down the nest.  Then on the spur of the moment, they decided to dissect it.  When the movie was over, they showed me all the developmental stages of the wasps that they had removed from the nest, from egg to pupa. I was super impressed with the kids' work.  :yes:  I was also extremely surprised to find that the wasp larvae appear to have strangely spherical bodies.  :-\  Who knew!   

I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
Re: Paper Wasp Stages
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2022, 11:36:52 pm »
That is pretty darned Cool!
There Is Peace In The Queendom
The following users thanked this post: The15thMember

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2022, 08:33:43 am »
Cool.  I have to admit that I have taken down many paper wasp's nest and not once have I bothered to look inside.
The following users thanked this post: The15thMember

Offline The15thMember

• Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2022, 11:47:16 am »
Cool.  I have to admit that I have taken down many paper wasp's nest and not once have I bothered to look inside.
I know right!  That's why I was so impressed with the kids.  They could have just knocked it down and gone back to playing, but they took the time to learn something instead.  I'm so curious about everything that I usually at least look inside the nests I take down, but even I've never taken the time to dissect a whole nest! 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.