Author Topic: cleaning plastic foundation  (Read 1089 times)

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
cleaning plastic foundation
« on: August 06, 2022, 11:16:41 am »
As a primer, I run mostly foundationless frames. The others are wax.  I had another member of our association ask how to clean plastic frames to get them ready for reuse.  My gut was to say to just rewax and throw it in.... am i missing something?  What method do all y'all use to clean/prep your plastic for reuse?
Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
Re: cleaning plastic foundation
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2022, 12:08:25 pm »
In my bee world, that question is the biggest quandary. I started out using wax/wire foundation and love it. But have switched over to plastic frames because I love using push in cages to intro queens, whole nuther subject.

2 scenarios:

If the plastic frame is a honey frame, leave it in what ever condition it is and put it back in the hive, the bees will love cleaning it up and reusing it.

If the frame is mostly pollen, last years pollen especially, you're not going to get it scraped clean even with a wire brush and soap and water. So scrape and scrub it as best you can and reinsert. It will take awhile but the bees will reuse it eventually.

If it was a brood frame, same as a pollen frame, scrape and scrub it as best as you can, reinsert.

I really make a good attempt to not throw out plastic frames due to the land fill thing, so I clean them as best I can.

As far as rewaxing, I haven't found that to be effecive. I have several times taken a beeswax block and rubbed it into the foundation, thinking that it would be more alluring to the bees to get started drawing wax. But frankly, I haven't seen that that method is effective.. at all.

These photos are of frames that I have scraped down and brushed as best I can. This is as good as it gets in my opinion.

There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2022, 08:54:15 pm »
I don't use plastic, but I have heard the carwash pressure does a great job.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2022, 11:27:33 pm »
Huh, that's a great idea, I think I would pop the plastic foundation out of the wooden frame. I use plastic foundation in wooden frames. Will not use solid plastic frames, too many casualties.

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2022, 03:27:13 pm »
Glad you brought this up Zweef as I've been pondering how to proceed with the old black comb I trade out with new frames. If the idea is to get rid of old frames to avoid a build up of chemicals or other nasties does scraping really accomplish that as its near impossible to get all the old wax off? Although it might be easier if the frames were cold (winter or freezer).  Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline RAST

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2022, 12:42:57 pm »
The ones I have cleaned I laid on the bottom of my utility trailer and used my pressure washer. My trailer has an expanded metal floor, you can still expect to get soaked but no dirt mixed in this way.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2022, 12:09:16 pm »
I would like to add, that it is easier scrapping off very cold, or frozen wintery frames... or very hot summery frames. However, this summer I made the mistake of leaving some wooden frames with plastic foundation out in the hot sun and the plastic foundation is left permanently warped. Drat!