Beekeeping > The Trading Post

Flow Frames could make beekeeping Profitable Again.

(1/4) > >>

apisbees:
Knock off flow frames are cheaper than conventional Lanstroth honey supers.
Using conventional supers for honey you need 2 or more and need to pull them and extract them to put back on to give the bees the space that they need. lets add up the cost, 2 deep supers with frames, foundation
super $18.00, 10 frames $14.00, foundation 15.00, = $47.00 X 2 supers = $ 94.00. For the bees to draw out the 2 supers of comb will cause them to make 4lbs of wax. With 10 lbs of honey needed for the bees to produce a pound of wax, we have 40lbs of honey invested in the drawing out of the frames in 2 supers. With the value of honey at $5.00 a pound, the cost to the beekeeper for 2 deep honey supers is $294.00.
Buy the flow frames and modify a $18.00 super, run off the honey as the bees fill the frames giving them the additional room for storage. Starting out in bees do the math, forget the extractor, start harvesting more honey earlier with less investment. It sounds like a winning strategy to me, greater returns for less investments. Flow frames could make beekeeping profitable again.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/7pcs-plastic-honey-outflow-beehive-frame-honey-flow-hive/32779802597.html?spm=2114.10010108.100009.2.13d6ba8fs9Ngfo&traffic_analysisId=recommend_2037_null_null_null&scm=1007.13482.91320.0&pvid=9f77aebf-30fb-4692-aa51-8bf69b9569cb&tpp=1

robo:
If only things worked out as well as they looked on paper :P

apisbees:
With the originally set price I wasn't surprised that the Chinese came out with a Knock off of them. But the amount the price has dropped and the speed it has on them is shocking.

Lburou:
Apis, I would like to see the flow hive design be successful.

Your math solution is built on the premise that the flow frames actually work...have you seen them work?  I've read on the flow hive forums about queens laying in the flow frames, (the cells are supposed to be so deep that queens won't lay in them).  There have been other issues that I'm not up on, but it would really be something to go to the hive and pour the crop into a container without the extracting process.    :yes:

neillsayers:

--- Quote from: Lburou on November 29, 2017, 06:01:48 pm --- There have been other issues that I'm not up on, but it would really be something to go to the hive and pour the crop into a container without the extracting process.    :yes:

--- End quote ---

Wouldn't that set up a robbing frenzy?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version