Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Any and Every Thing / Re: Off the grid
« Last post by Jen on Today at 01:53:22 AM »
Me three  ;)
« Last post by Lburou on Today at 12:02:59 AM »
Strange, I can play them when I click the link.
Me too.  :)
Honey, Bee Forage; Nectar & Pollen Sources / Re: Pollen Color Chart
« Last post by neillsayers on Yesterday at 11:07:49 PM »
I didn't buy it. Just copied and pasted it as a jpeg if memory serves. It would be nice to help support the work they have done. At the time I was poorer than a church mouse. Now its more like a cathedral mouse. :)
Bee News / Re: Bee Migration ~ ABC News
« Last post by Jen on Yesterday at 10:59:03 PM »
Good vid! Enjoyable. I have tried to get a bee or two out of my long hair without injuring it, so far I have not been successful. I even had a bee in my hair, unknowingly, while in the grocery store until it started to pipe up and get mad... hated to do it, but had to squish her  :sad:
Honey, Bee Forage; Nectar & Pollen Sources / Re: Pollen Color Chart
« Last post by Bakersdozen on Yesterday at 10:55:41 PM »
I have copies of these and use them often-very helpful.
Neil, are they worth purchasing or can someone just stick to the online version?
« Last post by Some Day on Yesterday at 10:25:45 PM »
Strange, I can play them when I click the link.
Bee News / Re: Bee Migration ~ ABC News
« Last post by Wandering Man on Yesterday at 10:08:40 PM »
I’d seen the short bit where they got stuck at the check point. I hadn’t realized he’d never driven with bees before.

I wonder what percentage of the hives they’d left behind.

Having recently failed to release a bee from 3Reds’ hair, I really appreciated watching GingerZee’s (Zorn?) panic at the end.
Homestead / Re: cast iron
« Last post by BoilerJim on Yesterday at 09:57:13 PM »
Count me in as well. I have been collecting cast iron for about four years now. I prefer using electrolysis tanks in cleaning up my purchases. Yes it is nice to view and look at nice seasoned pieces in antique shop BUT I prefer to purchase rusty caked on gunky cast iron for a few bucks and restoring them to their prior glory days.  :)
Pests and Diseases / Re: Beetle Banisher
« Last post by Wandering Man on Yesterday at 09:55:24 PM »
Oops great. I’m a sucker for new beetle bashing equipment. Their website does not give any info on purchasing their product.
Beekeeping 101 / Re: Treatment bees or Treatment free ?
« Last post by Chip Euliss on Yesterday at 09:21:17 PM »
A little difficult to follow but I gather your bees died and you're whether a 5 by 5 configuration would help? You also mention you treated with oxalic acid vapors so I think that's part of your question too.  Given your location in NC, wintering bees should pose no problem provided they have ample food reserves since your climate isn't severe.  Probably didn't seem like it this year with the crazy storm eh Mikey?  Anyway, you're not too far from where I grew up and where my family still resides (Hickory, NC); probably even a little warmer than on the mountain side of the Piedmont.  I'd wager that mites were your problem and the reason you lost your hives based on the numbers you provided.  From your post, you said you just started treating and this last August you used oxalic acid vaporization but you only treated 3 times (August 1, 12 and 21)--that may be a little light, especially if your mite loads were high.  I treat mine every 5 days and do that 5 times so I cover the brood cycle plus a few days.  I'd recommend increasing the frequency (5 times 4 days apart or 4 times 5 days apart).  Your counts from sugar roll (dusting I assume) were 7, 10 and 9.  Here' Id guess (?) you had a sample of 100 bees(?); if so, you had infestation rates of 7, 10 and 9%.  Some folks would be ok with that but I typically see only 1-3 % after I treat.  I'd also recommend treating in spring with an alternate miticide.  I've been using Formic acid in spring with good results but there are many other options too.  One last consideration is the intensity of the vapors from your vaporizer.  Vaporization is just starting to develop a following among commercial beekeepers and we're coming to recognize that the nice blue heavy vapor does the best job killing mites.  I started with a Lega vaporizer and I had to crank the thing all the way up (temp) to get the right "smoke".  It's a bit of an enigma but you may have the thermostat set higher than recommended but with repeated fillings and the boiling off of water, the actual temperature of the oxalic acid is likely lower than the setting on the thermostat.

I'd be happy to post a video of what I deem to be the right intensity of vapor ("smoke") but I'm not sure I know how to add it to this site.  If you're interested, I'd be more than happy to text or email you a short video clip.  Good Luck!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10