Author Topic: Bee stings  (Read 4721 times)

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
Re: Bee stings
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2017, 10:23:10 pm »
Nope! It is not strange by all means. And I hope my girls aim for my right hip and my left knee  :laugh: 8)
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2017, 01:23:54 am »
I got stung yesterday. I guess that what happens when you take pity on them and put them in the basement.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline Chip Euliss

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2018, 08:07:22 pm »
I've been retired for 4 years now but I did a few honeybee studies towards the end of my career.  I did a few collaboratively with a university and the USDA Bee lab.  We always had to write up (and get approved) an animal care and human health section in our study plans.  We weren't allowed to use epipens in those studies and my recollection is that the concern was over liability from unexperienced folks administering epinephrine to a potential victim.  Directions to administer the injection is pretty simple but if not followed, I could see where it could cause problems (e.g., injecting it into an artery).  That said, do I carry an epipen?  When I have folks come with me that don't know if  they are allergic or not, I do and I have my family MD get me a prescription.  I'd rather err on that side than take a chance.  Sounds like the MD who was against it was in the same camp as our government safety officers.
Chip
The following users thanked this post: riverbee

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2018, 10:00:44 pm »
i carry eppys, liquid benadryl and an emergency steroid. having suffered from reaction i guess i'd rather not take chances.

like chip said, i think there is some concern from 'medical professionals' or perhaps the government about the use of an eppy and liability issues. it's not hard to figure out how to use these, even though it does require a certification. i get that. i am not certified to use it on myself........ :D
if i were to see someone suffering from anaphylaxis you can bet i would not hesitate to use mine......it might save their life. 

they are a bit on the spendy side..........what isn't when it comes to medical treatment? let's not get started on this!

we as beeks work with stinging insects that could cause life threatening issues and depending on our situation ought to be carrying these irregardless of the cost. any physician not willing to write a prescription for liquid injection that could save your life?......it's simple to do and i would not accept a refusal to write a script. it's just a smart thing to do. that's my humble opinion.
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor