Author Topic: Hive Move  (Read 1306 times)

Offline Les

• Gold Member
Hive Move
« on: June 05, 2018, 10:52:37 pm »
Following in the footsteps of beekeepers that have gone before me, we moved a NUC (two deeps) over to a friends house early this morning. All went well getting the hive in the bed of the truck. I entrusted my dear husband to ratchet down the deeps and put it in the truck.  Followed my friend thru the neighborhood and he was going slow until one turn.  From my car I heard a “thonk”, his brake lights come on and he bails out of the truck.  “I think the hive flipped over!”  I jumped out of my car and sure enough it was on it’s side and my dear sweet hubby had not ratcheted it down tight enough.  The brood boxes slipped apart and the bees were pouring out!!!!  Grabbed my veil and jacket and I look up to see a woman jogging right towards us.  I yelled,
you better turn around, we have bees loose.  She turned and hauled it out of there.  I finally got the hives
upright but they were everywhere.  They finally settled back on the box, so off we went, got them on their new location and left them alone.  I was worried we might have lost the queen.  Went back a few hours later, they orienting to their new location and I found the queen.  As I’m going thru the frames, my friend kept hollering continuously “did you find the queen?”  I wanted to shoot him LOL!  Another one for the books and next time, I’ll tighten the ratchets!

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: Hive Move
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 11:19:42 pm »
Lesson to be learned here. Moving hives it a multi step process first strap the hive together so it will stay together as one unit. Then put it in the truck and strap it so it can not move.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 11:34:32 pm »
I didn't even make it into the bed of the truck the first time I caught a swarm.  I shoved the nuc into the bed of the truck, and the body slid right off the bottom board.

I drove as slowly as I dared all the way home, with a cloud of bees following me. 

I wondered if anyone noticed the bees when we were stopped at the stoplights?
Never argue with drunks or crazy people

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 11:46:52 pm »
.............. :D :D :D :laugh:

les, thanks for sharing........
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 02:33:39 am »
This was a case of not learning from the first time. They may not have noticed the bees escaping your truck but every car would notice when the drove up and had to stop where the bees were abandoned.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 07:24:14 pm »
Someday you will laugh at this.   ;)
So, no pictures?