Author Topic: embedding wires when cross wiring frames  (Read 1350 times)

Offline rober

• Gold Member
embedding wires when cross wiring frames
« on: June 20, 2018, 10:03:33 am »
for those who are cross wiring frames what heat source are you using? I tried jumper wires at each end of the frame that were hooked to a 12 volt battery & that was way too much power & the wire glowed red in a heartbeat.
also if the wire is not completely imbedded will the bees avoid that area?

Offline Riverrat

• Gold Member
Re: embedding wires when cross wiring frames
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 02:47:04 pm »
I used a battery charger set at 2 amps
"no man ever stood so tall as one that  stoops to help a child"

Forum Supporter

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 02:50:41 pm »
I use the old style star wheel for embedding and find it does a very good job for me.

Tried the electric transformer and embedding tool from Kelley's but to me is slow and can sometimes melt the foundation in half if not careful. Does a better job if you use the wire crimper to tighten the wires first. It will not only tighten the wire but also not make the wire a "hot knife" so to speak.

the transformer sold by Kelley's is a Stancor P-8130 style A
The embedding tool can be made if you are handy on the table saw.

As for the wire in the cells, you might find that the queen will not lay eggs in that row of cells until the bottom of them get waxed enough to cover the wire.

might try a door bell transformer.
Bees are bees and do as they please!

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 04:04:00 am »
I use a transformer from a Kids toy electric train set. It has a rheostat (train speed control) so I can adjust the power output to what I like and the speed it heats up. You can make one by using a 110Volt to 16 volt(door bell)/or 24 volt (furnace air conditioner) transformer. Then place a rheostat (light dimmer) in the output side to fine adjust the power.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline efmesch

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 12:36:53 pm »
...if the wire is not completely imbedded will the bees avoid that area?

It depends on how far the wire is from the foundation.  If it's close enough, they'll build over it and carry on as if nothing was out of place.   If it's too far away they will most probably leave that section unbuilt.

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 01:48:05 pm »
turns out I have a bench mounted soldering rig that's like a mini arc welder. it has a built in rheostat so it works perfectly for this task. any wire that's not completely embedded is just on the wax surface with no gaps so it should be fine. i'm using a small bar clamp cross wise on the frame when I install the wire. when the wire is secured & I remove the clamp the wire is close to a G flat note. nice & taught.