Author Topic: had the most awesome experience today . . .  (Read 2602 times)

Offline ablanton

• Blanton Apiaries
had the most awesome experience today . . .
« on: April 26, 2014, 01:58:54 pm »
This is probably no big deal for you old-timers, but it's only my third year and the first time this has ever happened to me.  I was checking the hive that swarmed last week to see how things were looking.  Top super of foundation didn't have much going on.  Next super had 8 drawn frames full of nectar.  Top deep had 6 frames of honey, nectar, and pollen.  Center two frames were pretty much empty comb.  In the bottom deep, I started at #8 working my way to the left.  Five frames of honey & nectar.  Then empty frames of comb.

The ladies were ill as hornets.  I usually don't wear any protective gear other than a ball cap and safety glasses, but I retreated for a veil and gloves after being charged several times and popped in the thumb before getting half-way through the top deep.  I had made it through the bottom deep to the last frame, and still no signs of a queen.  I'm a little nervous because the remaining swarm cells were small and didn't really look viable.  I'm about to close back up and contemplate what to do about a queen when I hear piping on the last frame that I'm still holding.  I follow the sound down to the bottom corner and hear she comes running across, down, and under to the other side!  I flip it over and find her again.

Now let me tell you . . .  These girls were very protective of their new queen.  Never experienced anything like it.  I reached down to grab her so that I could mark her and, "boom!", my hand is covered in angry bees!  I back off.  As I'm thinking what to do, she jumps from the frame I've laid across the top of the box to another frame and down she goes.  I find her again and as I go to grab her, I get jumped again!  After three or four times, I decide I'll just wait and mark her next time.

I close up the hive and I'm wondering if she'll get mated ok.  The weather forecast for the next week is not to good.  Lots of thunderstorms.  My son texts me and wants to know what kind of burger I want him & the wife to bring me on their way home.  As I'm texting him back, I hear a "thud" in the leaves.   I look down at my feet, and there she is!  She's just flown out the entrance to go mate!  I pick her up, and as I do, three or four bees jump my hand again.  :D  I pick her up, hold her out, and off she goes and begins an orientation flight!  It was just an awesome experience!

Oh, and the weather is great today.  She should do just fine.  Hope she finds her way back home . . .
Andy

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
Re: had the most awesome experience today . . .
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 02:07:11 pm »
Great Story Ab!  ;) 8)
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Woody Roberts

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 04:31:28 pm »
Now just how kool is that?

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 07:55:03 pm »
Wow!  You just experienced something a lot of beekeepers will probably never see.  Sweeeet!

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/scottshoneyandlipbalms
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 09:12:21 pm »
Yeap, cool indeed!

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 10:32:20 pm »
I'm jealous!
Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline tbonekel

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 09:03:09 am »
"thud" Man that is one big queen! :P I agree, though. What a great experience!