Author Topic: We're Devastated  (Read 2351 times)

Offline 40 Acre Bees

We're Devastated
« on: April 03, 2015, 01:04:20 pm »
Well our first warm day of the year, or at least warm enough the girls should be out on their cleansing flights.  Well I believe our suspicion's are true and it appears we lost both our hives this year.  As second year bee keeps we made it through last winter with flying colours but this year we failed.  It's funny how you try to do everything right and think they will be OK but their not.  Only time will tell, with two feet of snow still on the ground, it will be a little while before we can go in and take a good look, and hopefully see what happened.  It has been a long cold winter with more snow than most people can remember, so hopefully their demise was only natural and we can stop blaming ourselves for something we did or didn't do.  It's really funny how you become attached to your hives and want only the best for them........  Hopefully everyone here in the north has better luck than us this year, and we can find a couple of nucs and start again. 

Offline tbonekel

• Gold Member
Re: We're Devastated
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 01:09:52 pm »
Sorry for your loss. Hang in there and it's good that you want to keep working at it. Good luck!

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 01:42:25 pm »
Aaaaawe Man! That is just a huge Bummer! When I had my first hive, I lost it to starvation, I just didn't know any better  :'(

So glad to hear you're giving it another go  ;D
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 01:47:17 pm »
I'd be interested in knowing what they died from. Mine are out like crazy today, I am about to check a couple yards myself.
If there is any way I can help you get back in the game R & L, I'll try. :sad:
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter
The following users thanked this post: 40 Acre Bees

Offline Rugerbob

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 02:13:36 pm »
R&L sorry for your loss, both my hives only ventured out in earnest at 2pm.

Took the op to put some patties on.

Bob

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 03:15:41 pm »
If I can't help you out, I'll find someone who can. (Don't go back to where you got those from).
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter
The following users thanked this post: 40 Acre Bees

Offline 40 Acre Bees

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2015, 04:13:41 pm »
If I can't help you out, I'll find someone who can. (Don't go back to where you got those from).

Don't worry about that, no intention on going that route again.   I am a sucker for punishment, walked up the hill three times in knee to waist deep snow just to see if they came out......   They didn't
Thanks again Perry for all you help.  R&L

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2015, 07:33:04 pm »
Don't give up quite yet. It was sixty F. here, 15.5 C., two weeks ago. I opened a deadout that had no bees entering or exiting. The first thing that happened, I got popped right between the eyes. There were 2 frames of bees and a queen left. A very weak hive will not start working as soon as a stronger one will.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline rwlaw

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2015, 07:49:57 pm »
I second RB's advice.
Also I had a couple deadouts where the bees were piled up at the upper entrance almost plugging it up. Pop the top before you make the DOA call.
It's not a honeybee, it's a honey bee. Whateveer!