Author Topic: Potato Quesadillas  (Read 6621 times)

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Potato Quesadillas
« on: April 21, 2018, 02:51:45 pm »
I tried potato tacos at an authentic Mexican casa.  I came up with this version which is so much easier and doesn't require deep frying tortillas.

Ground beef cooked with chopped onion, garlic, and jalapeno.  You can season if you prefer.  Drain grease.
Mashed potatoes with some grated cheese stirred in until melted.  Can leave the mashed potatoes plain if desired.
Extra grated cheese.
Four tortillas
Butter
Frying pan or griddle large enough to lay your tortillas on.

Heat the frying pan or griddle on stove top.  While heating,butter on one side of both tortillas.  Spread the mashed potatoes over one tortilla with the buttered side down.  Don't make the mashed potatoes too thick.  Sprinkle ground beef over mashed potatoes and top with grated cheese.  Place second tortilla on top of the layers with the buttered side up.  Move to hot pan or grill.  Grill until golden brown, flip and repeat with the second side.  Remove to cutting board and cut into pie shaped wedges.
Serve with salsa or pico de gallo or similar.
The following users thanked this post: Wandering Man

Offline CBT

• Gold Member
  • Age gets better with wine
Re: Potato Quesadillas
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 09:07:40 pm »
My mouth is watering, wow :)

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 09:19:09 pm »
wow, this sounds good bakers!
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Les

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 09:44:15 am »
Never heard of potato quesadillas and have never seen them on a menu.  The things you learn  :)

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 05:16:31 pm »
Les,  I popped into a little Mexican take out place.  They had potato tacos on the menu as an appetizer.  I ordered them and got four full size potato tacos for $4.99.  They were good and I shared half of my tacos.  Everybody liked them.  I thought about making them at home but didn't want to deep fry flour tortillas, so I came up with quesadillas.  That's probably too much information!   :laugh:

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 05:59:15 pm »
I absolutely love Mexican food, as long as it isn't over-the-top spicy. I love tacos, burritos, etc., and wouldn't you know it, the closest Mexican place is in Halifax (Taco Bell). :sad:
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2018, 06:30:47 pm »
ditto perry!

i grew up among hispanic folks, they serve up some great stuff!. i lived a couple summers with some good friends in wyoming when i was a teen.....
i was hooked!

a few years back we vacationed in new mexico, Abiquiu. we stayed at a private residence in one of two rentals on the owners property (pretty cool).
the owners sent us to a place, gave us directions; i can't even remember where it was now, out in the boonies! it was just a small place, about the size of a small garage in the middle of this little tiny town, you would blow past it if you didn't have the directions!  only had picnic tables, no alcohol, but you could bring your own in a paper bag.......... :D  yes we did!

i tell you what, the food was excellent! made to order and  made your eyes run and the fresh deep fried sopapillas were incredible! sorta helped with the heat on the food.  the place got discovered and received some 'national' food award.

i like to try anything mexican; southwestern and cuban.....awesome stuff!

making some leftover steak tacos tonight for dinner!
Forum Sponsor

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2018, 06:36:27 pm »
Ya'll just need to saddle up and come down for a visit to see me.  I'll introduce you to real Tex-Mex.  A step above what I've tasted in northern states' Mexican restaurants.

Never argue with drunks or crazy people

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2018, 06:59:35 pm »

the owners sent us to a place, gave us directions; i can't even remember where it was now, out in the boonies! it was just a small place, about the size of a small garage in the middle of this little tiny town, you would blow past it if you didn't have the directions!  only had picnic tables, no alcohol, but you could bring your own in a paper bag.......... :D  yes we did!

i tell you what, the food was excellent! made to order and  made your eyes run and the fresh deep fried sopapillas were incredible! sorta helped with the heat on the food.  the place got discovered and received some 'national' food award.

Sometimes those are some of the best places!!!
Reminds me of a trip we made to Costa Rica for a wedding.  Away from the touristy areas you could find some of the best food and seafood.  We stopped in one place called Dona Maria's.  It consisted of 6 stools and a tv with novellas on. We were the only customers and she cooked up a feast for us could not be matched any where else.  At one point she picked up the telephone and asked someone to bring her something.  It was an ingredient for our meal and her daughter obviously brought it from home.  Would that be done in the U.S.?  No, but what a great experience!
I and others did get food poisoning but not from any food eaten at road side diners.  It was from the caterers at the wedding.  Awful!

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2018, 10:06:03 pm »
i just ate some pretty fine steak tacos, (secret recipe for us northerners i learned from my hispanic friends)
but you guys are making me hungry all over again!............ :D :D :D

keith that place in vernon looks pretty cool!

bakers, it is these out of the way places! 

and wm.......love tex mex! been to texas and arizona, some of the finest mouth watering, tear dropping 'slobbering' good food on the planet!...... :D

Forum Sponsor
The following users thanked this post: Wandering Man

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2018, 05:28:09 pm »
B12&13 ;D
Mrs Kappy ( grandchildrens name for Kathy) we're going to experiment with quesadilla potato recipe.  Thanks for idea

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2018, 07:49:48 pm »
UPDATE :
Kappy said they're delicious.  :yes: :yes:
The following users thanked this post: Bakersdozen