Author Topic: anyone heard any details about this?  (Read 1825 times)

Offline rober

• Gold Member

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
Re: anyone heard any details about this?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 10:15:32 am »
Yes:

https://worldwidebeekeeping.com/forum/index.php?topic=7584.0

And here:

https://worldwidebeekeeping.com/forum/index.php?topic=7596.0

I think we are all waiting for the follow-up studies and the perfection of an effective means of application. They’ve already patented any type of use of ony form of lithium. I’m worried the patent will inhibit other objective research. Who would want to do the research, knowing there is nothing to profit from, and who would want to risk violating the patent.

Seems like we are now dependent on the school and the 3 researchers who filed the patent. That adds a bit of uncertainty as to the legitimacy of their results, doesn’t it?
Never argue with drunks or crazy people

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 11:00:22 am »
I missed this. i'm mostly on the general beekeeping forum. I did look up the chemical. sounds like you really need to be careful about dosages.

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 12:20:51 pm »
It has been slowly making the rounds through different forums and facebook pages.  So far, responses I've read are either from folks who are running out to buy Lithium Chloride and try it out on their poor unsuspecting bees, or are highly critical of the research, warning about the 5% to 7% loss of bees, pointing out that the tests were run on broodless bees and for short periods. 

All in all, more research is needed, and it is needed from independent sources.  I hope someone out there is taking up the challenge.

This research may also prompt others to look at other naturally occurring compounds that mites don't tolerate.

I like the fact that the researchers took other research and broke it down to discover the main effect was from an unexpected source.  LiCl seems like a much more straight forward approach than attempting to change or attack RNA.
Never argue with drunks or crazy people