Author Topic: A quick feeding question  (Read 1112 times)

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
A quick feeding question
« on: July 21, 2018, 09:28:53 am »
Hi Everyone, a friend of mine caught a small swarm the other day.  Should he be feeding 1:1 or 2:1 syrup?  I believe, in the past, we've fed 1:1 until mid August then switched to 2:1 syrup until it was too cold to feed.  I'm leaning towards 1:1 but would like some reassurance before suggesting one over the other.  Thanks, Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: A quick feeding question
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 10:00:30 am »
1 to 1 to encourage build up in the colony 2 to 1 to build winter stores. it is much easier for the bees to store and dehydrate 2 to 1 so they store it clogging the brood frames with capped honey/ syrup.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: A quick feeding question
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 12:08:48 am »
Non are an exact science. Some people mix by weight, some by volume, and others will fill a container 1/2 way with water and add sugar till the container is full. By weight will give the truest percentage, by volume will give a weak syrup ratio and filling a container to the 1/2 point and adding sugar till the container is full will give a stronger sugar ratio. But regardless of what system you use the bees will still take it. When mixing 2 to 1 ratio adding to much sugar makes it hard to dissolve all the sugars. As the sugar syrup becomes more saturated it looses it's ability to dissolve the sugar crystals.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.