Author Topic: New Year Beekeeping Resolutions  (Read 2192 times)

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
New Year Beekeeping Resolutions
« on: January 02, 2020, 08:25:12 pm »
Does anyone have any New Year's Resolutions, in regards to beekeeping, they would like to share?  Oh heck, it doesn't have to be exclusively about beekeeping, it could be about any goals you have for 2020!

Offline RAST

Re: New Year Beekeeping Resolutions
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2020, 09:01:20 pm »
Looks like a lot are like me and didn't make any.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2020, 01:14:16 pm »
I will start then.  I hope to increase my colonies by making splits.  I also plan to do timely queen replacements.

Offline PappyRick

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2020, 10:20:41 am »
I have room (and personal ability) to expand by one hive to five.  Last year was my first year to overwinter hives - so, IMHO, I now claim beekeeper status.  Did not feel I could do that until I overwintered successfully.  All three of my hives survived.  Split to four last Spring.

So, current status is four hives, with one in a single deep.  Resolution is to solidify beekeeper status by babying these bees through this winter and splitting to five hives this Spring. 

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2020, 03:36:49 pm »
I have room (and personal ability) to expand by one hive to five.  Last year was my first year to overwinter hives - so, IMHO, I now claim beekeeper status.  Did not feel I could do that until I overwintered successfully. 

So, current status is four hives, with one in a single deep.  Resolution is to solidify beekeeper status by babying these bees through this winter and splitting to five hives this Spring.
Congratulations on your success! I am glad you didn't give up.
Unfortunately, colony loss in the winter is a challenge for many new beekeepers.  As you have probably figured out, the secret is to determine what went wrong and then, in year's to come, ensure that it doesn't happen again.