Author Topic: Think You're Tough?  (Read 4339 times)

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Think You're Tough?
« on: December 17, 2015, 07:39:01 pm »
Think you're tough?
Think you got what it takes to be a Canadian beekeeper?
I don't think so!!!!!! We're a special breed up here!
See what the requirements are for a beekeeping assistant up here, and if you're willing, let me know! ;D

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-other-jobs/london/beekeeper-assistant/1126337066?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: Think You're Tough?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 07:44:49 pm »
300 lbs?  Is that with my dominant hand, or must  I use my other hand? I know I need to carry the smoker in one.   :P
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 07:51:58 pm »
Minimum wage up here in most provinces is $10.90/hr.
300 lbs, in mud! >:(
The gear must be pretty beat up if 200+ stings are possible, either that or it happens when your back snaps and you drop the hive and can't run.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 08:45:07 pm »
The guy he had last year doesn't want to return? I wonder why... Good luck at finding someone...
The other thing that may be happening in this case is he wants to hire someone thru the foreign worker program. First you need to advertise the job for a Canadian first and if you cant find one then you can apply to fill the position with a foreign worker.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline Ray

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 10:14:27 pm »
Work orders: Go out pickup the whole hive carry it out to my truck. Repeat until I tell you stop. Do not worry I am honest, if I wasn't I would tell you.  ;D

Offline Chip Euliss

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2015, 11:29:49 pm »
I could do it as long as they'd let me use my forklift lift the required weight!!!
Chip

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2015, 12:20:03 am »
I kept reading it with furrowed brows thinking 'Surely this is a joke'
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2015, 02:09:56 am »
It sounds so glamorous!  Any chance that it's a typo?  Maybe he meant to say "must be able to lift 100 pounds."

Offline kebee

• WorldWide Beekeeper Emeritus
  • Gold Member
  • May GOD be with us
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2015, 04:07:01 am »
 No way I would take the job, I am not a night person.

Ken

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2015, 07:22:46 am »
I think Apis is pretty much bang on.
Many of the farmers up here cannot find local labour do to the type of work and low (minimum) wages (picking apples, etc.). In order to qualify for using TFW (temporary foreign workers), they must first show that they have tried and were unable to secure locals for those jobs.
This advertisement is clearly over the top. Labour laws (Workers Compensation) do not allow anyone by law to lift weights even remotely close to those mentioned.
Forum Supporter

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2015, 08:23:25 am »
Perry makes a good point.  In the US OSHA does not allow a worker to carry over 100 pounds and there are serious restrictions on that weight.  Almost all of the oil field containers are 50 pounds or less.  All of my feed and seed packages are 50 pounds.  Were I a betting man, I would wager that current labor laws forbid workers from carrying over a hundred pounds.  It must be a misprint.  Other that professional weight lifters, I don't think any man can lift 300 pounds.

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2015, 08:33:00 am »
I stand corrected.  OSHA does not have a weight limit on lifting, but they recommend a maximum lift weight of 50 pounds for men and 25 pounds for women.  Even then, OSHA required lift training.  Wouldn't you like to see the lift training for 300 pounds?  :):)  As a sidebar, I have never had problems with OSHA or the ADA, but my acquaintances that have will tell you they are TOUGH agencies to deal with.  I would have been apprehensive about even publishing this advertisement, as I would worry about an OSHA inspection if they read it.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2015, 09:03:01 am »
OSHA is also very stupid.
Example:

Screw 2 screws in the wall of a business and hang a clock by the 2 keyhole slots on the back. Plug it into a receptacle.
Now it is legal. After it gets knocked off a couple times, open the face and tighten the screws so they hold it securely to the wall.
Now, it is illegal. 20 years ago, the fine was 3,500 dollars. No telling what it is today.

The reasoning, or lack thereof, is an electrical apparatus permanently mounted has to be directly wired. Plugs and recepticles can only be used for portable installations.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2015, 09:31:11 am »
I believe the recommended weights up here are 50 lbs. as well.
I found out the hard way when I worked for the Town of Lunenburg that there are hard ways and smart ways to do things. I was sent back to the shop to load up a gas powered water pump during an emergency leak and there was no one there to help me load it. I lifted that 200 lb. pump into the back of the truck myself and felt a sharp pop in my guts. A few months later I had surgery for a hernia. Funny enough I still try and lift things I know I probably shouldn't.
Forum Supporter

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2015, 11:01:31 am »
@Iddee:

I sure didn't mean to imply that OSHA was smart, quite the contrary.  But, unfortunately they are the law of the land.  We have drilled several deep wells, deeper than 12,000 feet and up to 22,000 feet, for large chemical companies.  They require us to abide by all OSHA rules.  That's why I am somewhat familiar with their requirements.  OSHA requires the use of unaltered tools.  Did you ever crawl into a tight space and try to use a 10 pound sledge hammer with the normal 36 inch handle?  We have to alter tools.  OSHA regulations were written by bureaucrats that do not live in the real world.

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2015, 01:06:58 pm »
Lazy Shooter,

I  used to have a 10lb sledge on a 12 inch handle for one particular job.  Used to get a laugh out of newbees when they'd ask to borrow a shop hammer and I'd hand them that! :)
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a