Author Topic: Queen Excluder, or not?  (Read 10032 times)

Offline jb63

Re: Queen Excluder, or not?
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2014, 07:30:38 am »
 I started pulling honey on Sun.The first hive was up at my in-laws and had two supers.So out of 20 frames I put four frames of brood and eggs, and one frame of honey in to a nuc.The next stop was the flatbed truck that had about 10 supers,but I only made two nucs from brood in the honey supers.Mon. it was hot,Tues. it rained, so last night I started on 15 supers at home.From them I made 2 nucs but I have five more to go thru two of which have a excluder under them.I used smoke and b-gone[smells like almond extract] and still had to brush them off.Today I should have q-cells from Sun.If I have time I'll take some pics.  :)
I don't know.It was like that when I got here.

Offline hamptor

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2014, 10:49:40 am »
Riverbee - thanks for sharing the article on queen excluder or honey excluder.   I tried out queen excluders on 2 of my hives this year, but after reading the article, it seems that I might have gotten much more honey if I had not used them.  That's really food for thought.  I think I will forego the excluder next year and see if I get more honey.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2014, 03:18:29 pm »
Hamptor:
Good move. Have them handy and use them only if you find you need to, that's what I do. ;)
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2014, 11:42:13 pm »
hamptor, your welcome, hard to say whether or not you would have received more honey or not, i don't believe they are 'honey excluders' as has been said by many, but we all keep bees in different environments with many different variables......i am one to use excluders, (i also have top entrances) unless i am placing foundation on, then i don't use the excluder until the comb is drawn.  i think the answer with excluders is knowing when to use them in your environment to meet your needs or practices of keeping bees..... ;)
thanks for your post!

i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor