Author Topic: Bad advise  (Read 18868 times)

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
Re: Bad advise
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2014, 09:29:48 pm »
Kebee, my garden came through that cold spell just fine, i'm guessing the ground was still warm from the few warm days we had before the frost. Just the low spots in the fields showed frost that mourning, my potato's, sweet corn, onions, and Buckwheat field, made it through just fine. Now if i can get a break from chasing swarms and working bees, maybe i can get the rest of my garden out, this has been one weird  year so far. :o Jack
PS. I was jerking riverbee and perry's chain on plastic foundation ;D, guess they must agree? haven't heard a thing from them. :laugh:

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2014, 09:51:03 pm »
Jack- 2 months ago I was halfway thru painting my hallway. Had to take a 6 week break to chase swarms. My paint brushes are still stuck with piant and glued together HA! :D

How many swarms have you chased so far?

There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2014, 10:05:50 pm »
Three so far Jen, it's just started here. Several of my strong hives are building lots of queen cups( nothing in them so far) on the bottom of brood frames filled with worker brood from top to bottom. I think they have something on there mind ( these are double deeps) and have been keeping a close eye on them ??? Jack

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2014, 10:28:30 pm »
"PS. I was jerking riverbee and perry's chain on plastic foundation ;D, guess they must agree? haven't heard a thing from them. :laugh:"

ok jack, i give, i can't stand it.......you want me to kick your butt on this now or later or any other day cuz i have time for both or all three...... :D

as far as some of the last few comments made here relative to bad advice.......
what scott said earlier, "There is likely hundreds of years in combined experience at your fingertips right here."
right on scott. maybe the forum is only months old, that really doesn't matter......the adminstrators, moderators and members are not months old in beekeeping......
some are, some aren't, but even those who are new to beekeeping have a great deal to offer all of us as well, new or old. really doesn't matter.

and what dennis said: "I think good or bad advice is not so much a matter of correct or incorrect information as it is either incomplete information or information that does not, or may not, apply under the advisee's circumstances."  very true dennis.  unique to their situation and what may apply or doesn't.

i see beeks here so willing and generous to help others out and 'mentor'  from a distance or connect with another beek here in close proximity.

i liked what greg said "I don't see a right or wrong, only different opinions."  opinions yes, i just see a forum set apart from others, with many minds, thought processes, backgrounds, knowledge and experience and although there are differences,  and sometimes confusion, we all share something in common......BEES.  that's what brings us together, and sharing our ways with one another and how each of us do it, and keeping an open mind. a great benefit to all.

the best advice is to listen to those who have gone before you and made the mistakes and offer their experience up.  even though there are those of us who are hard heads and stubborn, doesn't matter.....got to try it for yourself anyway?.....then just come back and tell us so.....it's only fair...... :D
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2014, 10:37:37 pm »
RB, When you come to kick my Butt, bring a chair, you'll need it Squirt. :laugh: :laugh: Jack

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2014, 10:44:52 pm »
Nice post there Riv-

I've done sooo much winter reading here, and went thru a precarious scary swarmy spring... that when the other's that are now coming into their springs and yelling "HELP!"  I now have information for them. I want to yell back: "Oh Man! I Know What You're Going Thru! You Have To Have A Pair Of Jammies Hanging On A Nail Next To Your Back Door, Or In Your Truck!!!

That's how you master catching 10 swarms in 6 weeks ~ It's All In The Jammies  :D

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
    • http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2014, 10:58:59 pm »
I need to amend my statement above.  If someone recommends loosening the telescoping top and inner cover with a hammer,  :o  I would say that's bad advice.  ;)
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2014, 11:00:57 pm »
LOL greg!!!!

i know i am really sidetrackin this thread rat, can't help it, it's jack's fault....... :D

"RB, When you come to kick my Butt, bring a chair, you'll need it Squirt. :laugh: :laugh: Jack"
jack, i don't need no stinking chair...... :D

and jen, what you have shared in your posts helps others.....thanks for being here.....uhhhh, jammies and all............!
Forum Sponsor

Offline DMLinton

• Member, Tundra Division
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2014, 11:16:58 pm »
Then of course, there is advice that can be misinterpreted.  Like
It's All In The Jammies
. Now I am thinking, jammies?  What do jammies have to do with catching bees and why must one keep some hanging by the door.  If it's jammies time, wouldn't one already have them on.  So then, of course, it occurs to me that jammies are quick to get into but, if it is the middle of the day, would that not mean getting out of the jeans and top?  Or do you put them on over?  But still,  the question what have jammies have to do with it - are they for the bees or the neighbours and then  :o.  Now, as River mentioned a bit back there are all the thought processes.

Then another thought, Jen, do you call your bee suit "jammies"?
Regards, Dennis
First bees installed July 1, 2014..

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2014, 11:40:46 pm »
aw dennis, you missed one of jen's posts running after one of her ten swarms wearing jammies......
Forum Sponsor

Offline DMLinton

• Member, Tundra Division
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2014, 11:45:26 pm »
Oh, okay.  Was definitely baffled there for a minute.
Regards, Dennis
First bees installed July 1, 2014..

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2014, 11:53:20 pm »
LOL !! Dennis  ~  I was home the day I caught my first swarm and just happened to be in my jammies. The swarms came so early in the year, March, that I was not prepared AT ALL! Was actually reading on how to handle swarms, when I took a break and went into my back yard and the sky had changed color. "Holy Expetive!"  Well I was in a panic cause I hadn't caught a swarm before. I was running to and from this forum getting advice. Long story short I pitched a ladder in a tall cedar tree with a 10 foot bank below, and caught my first swarm not realizing that I was still in my jammies.

Jammies Rock!  :D

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2014, 12:35:36 am »
I still need to have a chat with her neighbors and offer bribes to get pictures of Jen in a tree with a box wearing Jammies.  ;D
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2014, 12:40:22 am »
Ha! The chances of other swarms going to this same cedar tree are about 100%, pictures could definately be taken.  :o

As for what kind of jammies.....   I  Will  Never Tell ;)  :-[ 

Offline Riverrat

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2014, 03:18:55 pm »

i know i am really sidetrackin this thread rat, can't help it, it's jack's fault....... :D

Keeps people posting and making things interesting ;D
"no man ever stood so tall as one that  stoops to help a child"

Forum Supporter

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2014, 03:24:01 pm »
Riverrat ""Keeps people posting and making things interesting""

Yes! It Does!  A lot of 'interesting and curious' is what keeps us from getting Alzheiners, I'm all for that.

Offline minz

« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2014, 04:01:12 pm »
I have been doing some serious queen cell killing! Demaree method the box above the super and the excluder grows them regularly. I cull to the best two, and put one frame of brood and one of the capped QC in a 4 way queen castle.  I marked and moved 7 queens yesterday but my hives are getting weak, so I have now been scrapping them all. I may have missed one on an out yard because the hive seems pretty calm.

Offline tbonekel

• Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2014, 06:00:05 pm »
As stated earlier, I really couldn't say that any advise that I have been given from the internet has been bad. I think most have been from well meaning people who have found a method that works for them in their area and maybe not for mine. Now if a local beek gives me some advise and it turns out bad, then that is just bad advise. Even then, though, variations in forage areas, micro climates and other things can invalidate advise from a person that lives just down the road.

I tend to think it's just like news. You really can't read 1 news story and accept it as fact. You have to read several sources, then come to your own conclusion. If I am ever lucky enough to be someone's mentor in beekeeping, I will make sure that I tell them to read a lot and find what works for them.

Offline Beeboy

« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2014, 08:55:23 pm »
I haven't tried this but it seems like bad advice, but I would like your opinion since I am being tempted to try it.

I have been seeing folks adding the second box and checker boarding the frames. They will take out every other frame from the original bottom box and put frames with only foundation in their place. Then they put the pulled frames from the bottom box and alternate them with frames of foundation in the top, or new box.

They say this will cause the bees to draw the foundation out quicker than normal, but I thought that I was supposed to keep the brood together and not separate it out.

Thoughts?

Offline tbonekel

• Gold Member
« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2014, 09:02:07 pm »
I have never checkerboarded, but I have split the brood chamber and inserted a foundationless frame inside. They really draw it out fast and the queen begins laying right away. I have also heard of people taking 1 frame of brood and bees and putting it into a new, empty upper deep and that is supposed to encourage the bees to move up. I have not done that yet either.