Author Topic: FONDANT RECIPES ~ Share your recipe here!  (Read 30452 times)

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
Re: FONDANT RECIPES ~ Share your recipe here!
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2014, 03:36:38 pm »
I've seen these youtubes on fondant, I don't have a KitchenAid, or stand mixer. I do have good quality hand mixer. And I've seen on one youtube where a fellow used a drill and paint mixer/stirer thingy for mixing his fondant.

What say you, any  C:-)
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline robo

• Beekeep On!
    • Ramblings, Rants, & Ravings
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2014, 04:36:05 pm »
've seen on one youtube where a fellow used a drill and paint mixer/stirer thingy for mixing his fondant.

What say you, any  C:-)

Make sure you have a heavy duty drill otherwise you will burn it out.   Don't ask me how I know :-X

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2014, 05:07:11 pm »
LOL Thanks Rob and that tells me not to use my hand mixer. I think I'll call around to my friends and see if I can find a KitchenAid standing mixer. I would go and buy one if they didn't cost $300 ~

Gypsi

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2014, 05:20:52 pm »
you need a mixer?  I have 2 and a couple of drills but with 3 hives, I used a wooden spatula.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2014, 05:50:22 pm »
Hmmm, interesting. The vids I watch say in order to get the fondant to the silky chewy stage that it needs to be kneeded like bread. I've never made it before so I really don't know.

You bring the water, vinegar, sugar up to about 238 degrees. Take off of burner, let cool to 200, then put in stand mixer with dough paddle and mix slowly until it's silky, kina taffy like. Then pour into molds.

You can also do it by hand like kneading bread dough for about 5 minutes.

I have to be careful with my left shoulder so I don't know if that gonna fly with me. Maybe I can break down the recipe to one mold at a time...

Gypsi

« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2014, 08:06:45 pm »
Knead? Roll out?  I have a daughter that does fancy wedding cakes but I am feeding bees. I let cool, somewhat, stir in pollen sub if I'm adding, and pour it on to paper plates and let cool. I think those videos want you to work too hard. Mine is in between fudge and brittle candy, more to the fudge side, but I'm not wrapping it around a wedding cake either.

Offline Yankee11

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2014, 09:47:15 pm »
Piece of cake.

I added some
Lemongrass oil
Spearmint oil
Tea Tree oil

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2014, 01:53:22 am »
Yankee- I don't have a standing mixer like that. Looks good! So this fondant of yours looks like it still stays a bit soft so the bees can take bites of it...

Offline Yankee11

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2014, 08:03:05 am »
Yes, I don't think you have o have a mixer though. I think the important thing is that by make the fondant it breaks down the sugar from the larger crystals into tiny crystals so that its more like crystallized honey.  Easier for the bees to consume.

It was very easy to make.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2014, 09:39:42 am »
What exactly is Glucos?

I have ALWAYS used Karo, the Karo that is marked 0g HFCS in making queen candy to keep it BARELY pliable..   I doubt theres enough of it there to harm the bees, but what exactly IN the Karo would give the bees dysentery?
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2014, 02:32:19 pm »
It's been awhile since I discussed this high fructose corn syrup debate. I am on the wire about it but still lean towards not using it. Here is a forum on the subject ~ beesource

http://www.beesource.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-273538.html

One of the things that has occured to me during my readings on this subject is that... the bee gut is remarkably close to the human gut. It's been proven that corn syrup in products on the grocery shelf cause obesity in humans. Karo is also used to help baby's with constipation. So if it will soften the stool of babies, then it's not going to be good for bee poop.

Corn is wind pollinated, if bees don't go for corn pollen, why put corn products it into their gut.

Now, I'm not a agriculture scientist, and I consider myself an abstract thinker. Soooooo....

Gypsi

« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2014, 07:57:22 pm »
anyone is entitled to feed their bees anything but I prefer NOT to feed mine Roundup via corn or soy, same for me, my dogs and my cats, so I don't buy corn or soy products. I have a pre 2005 bottle of Karo if a baby needs deconstipated.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2014, 08:17:50 pm »
"What exactly is Glucos?
I have ALWAYS used Karo, the Karo that is marked 0g HFCS in making queen candy to keep it BARELY pliable..   I doubt theres enough of it there to harm the bees, but what exactly IN the Karo would give the bees dysentery?"

glucose scott, it makes the fondant pliable. that's it. i will be adding another post on making fondant and some other additional info that may be helpful.
about Karo syrup:

Karo syrup: (from Karo's website:)

Q: What is high fructose corn syrup and how is it different from regular corn syrup?
A:  High fructose corn syrup starts with regular corn syrup, which is modified by further processing and treated with enzymes to break it into two different forms of sweeteners, fructose and glucose.
In contrast, corn syrup is a sweetener derived from fresh corn picked and processed at its peak for flavor and sweetness. This is the ingredient in Karo® Corn Syrups used for baking – Karo® Light, Karo® Dark and Karo® Lite (reduced calorie).

Q:  Why do food manufacturers use high fructose corn syrup?
A: Originally, high fructose corn syrup was developed as a lower cost substitute for sugar. It is widely used today as a sweetener in beverages, bakery products, yogurts, and other products that traditionally had used sugar as a sweetener.

Q:  What is the controversy about high fructose corn syrup and why are so many people avoiding it?
A: Since the early 1980's, high fructose corn syrup consumption has tripled and was recently estimated at 30 pounds per person annually. During the same time period, the rate of obesity also increased dramatically. After consumption of high fructose corn syrup hit its highest level between the years of 2000 to 2005, it has more recently declined, yet obesity rates have not. While some researchers feel there is a link between the increase in obesity and high fructose corn syrup consumption, others do not.

Q: Do  any of Karo's Corn Syrup products used in baking that are sold in retail stores contain high fructose corn syrup?
A: When Karo was first introduced in 1902, it contained no high fructose corn syrup. Like the original, today Karo® Light, Karo® Dark and Karo® Lite Corn Syrups contain no high fructose corn syrup.

Q: Do other brands of corn syrup currently contain high fructose corn syrup and if so, how can I tell?
A:  Karo is currently the only leading national brand of corn syrup that has removed high fructose corn syrup. Many other brands of corn syrup do contain high fructose corn syrup. Check the ingredient list on the package where high fructose corn syrup must be listed if it is in the product. You can also look for Karo's package labels that clearly announce "0 grams High Fructose Corn Syrup."

Q: What is corn syrup?
A:Corn syrup is a mildly sweet, concentrated solution of dextrose and other sugars derived from corn starch. It is naturally sweet. Corn syrup contains between 15% to 20% dextrose (glucose) and a mixture of various other types of sugar.

Q: Is high fructose corn syrup the same as corn syrup?
A:No. high fructose corn syrup and corn syrup are distinctly different products. When Karo was introduced in 1902, it did not contain high fructose corn syrup. Sometime in the 1970's, it was added to the Karo Light and Pancake syrups. As a result of consumer requests, the high fructose corn syrup has now been removed from Karo® Light. Karo® Dark and Karo® Lite (reduced calorie) Corn Syrups never had high fructose corn syrup.

Q:What is refiners' syrup? Why is it used in Karo dark corn syrup?
A:  Refiners' syrup is a type of molasses. It gives dark corn syrup its flavor and color.

Q:When was the ingredient "vanilla" added to Karo light corn syrup?
A: Vanilla has always been an ingredient in Karo light corn syrup. It gives extra smoothness and richness to the flavor.
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2014, 11:51:20 pm »
Thanks Riv, Good Info

"Q:What is refiners' syrup? Why is it used in Karo dark corn syrup?
A:  Refiners' syrup is a type of molasses. It gives dark corn syrup its flavor and color.

So definately don't use Karo Dark because of the molasses, even tho is has not HFCS. Isn't molasses bad for bees?

Does this mean that Karo 'Light' is okay to use? Even tho it has vanilla extract in it, albeit not very much?

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2014, 01:21:44 pm »
jen, i wouldn't use the brand 'karo' syrup.  it contains starch, not to mention salt. starch will give bees dysentery. there are many solids that contain sugars that bees can't digest, and also some sugars that contain starch.  i am not sure of all the other sugars contained in karo, and not sure how vanilla flavoring may effect them,  but given that it contains the starch, i would not use it.  some might argue that a small amount used in fondant will not hurt bees.  i am not willing to take the risk.

many other sugars are not good for bees, sugar products that have other components such as starches and sugars other than sucrose; yes molasses, brown sugar, powdered sugar that contains starch (okay to dust mites with but not as feed), commercial fondants may contain flavorings and/or colorings or other additives, as perry mentioned, and unrefined sugars.
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2014, 03:57:27 pm »
I'm glad you confirmed that Riv, I wasn't going to use it anyway. But good into for new beeks. I'll stick with homemade fondant and cane sugar. Your info has made this a good thread THANKS!

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2014, 09:28:15 am »
Wow, I just got off the phone with the distributor. I ordered 2 - 50 lb blocks, and the price has dropped since last year, from $64 down to $50 and some cents per box. :)
I was only going to order 1 block, but at that price having some extra for those in my area that might need some, I couldn't resist. ;D
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Marbees

« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2014, 10:38:39 am »
Perry, who is your distributor?
Bee Remarkable

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2014, 11:10:16 am »
Perry, who is your distributor?

http://bmsdistributors.com/

FONDANT ICING REG BRILLANCE 20 KG
(not sold in the 20 kg pail anymore, now in a 50 lb. block, wrapped in plastic in a cardboard box, actually making it easier to handle).
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Marbees

« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2014, 09:40:12 pm »
Around here, the best price I could find is 10 kilos for $45, :o, will keep looking
Bee Remarkable