Author Topic: Protective Gear  (Read 29764 times)

Offline JanO

Protective Gear
« on: January 05, 2014, 12:26:37 pm »
Can we discuss protection gear, and necessary items to work our hives?  Since I'm just starting out I'm curious about what is really necessary as far as accessories, and protection.  Do I really need a whole suit, or is head protection sufficient if you wear a long sleeve shirt and jeans when working your hives?  And what type of gloves are best?  Besides a smoker and hive tool, what else is absolutely necessary?  It seems like everyone is determined to sell me everything under the sun, but I'm not sure about what is actually needed.  I don't want to buy something that will only sit around and collect dust.

Offline Walt B

• Red Gate Farm
Re: Protective Gear
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 12:36:12 pm »
I started with a hat/veil and wore long sleeved shirts. Many folks don't use gloves, but I feel more confident with nitrile gloves (the ones you get from the Chinese importer). They may not be much better than nothing, but they make me feel good and that is the important part.

As for tools, I always use a smoker (mandatory...not for you, for the bees), and mostly a hive tool and a brush.

Beekeepers use what "works for them". The whole idea is to work around the hives in comfort and calm. I eventually purchased a ventilated jacket because I got tired of being stung (and I swell up like the Michelin Man). Suited up I work calmly and at my pace.

You didn't ask, but I shall volunteer that you keep away from "starter kits". Just purchase the wooden ware, hive items, and tools that you think you will need for "x" number of hives. My $0.02.

Walt
Red Gate Farm
Stamp Out Racism

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 12:47:50 pm »
Good topic, JanO.
I have heard often, "Wear as much as you need to be comfortable working the bees."  Some folks start out with lots of protective gear and shed it as the years go by.  Some gear is only needed seasonally.  It depends on what you are trying to accomplish in the hive.  Do you know how bad a reaction you have to a bee sting yet?  Some parts of my body swell terribly for days while other parts don't effect me too bad.
You don't have to buy all at once and you can add to your inventory as you see fit or money permits.
I would add a bee brush to the list of essentials.
I always seem to use an extra hive body to set on top of the lid I have just removed.  As I inspect frames for the queen, I place them in the empty box and continue looking.  That hive body is handy in emergencies too, like housing a swarm.

Offline JanO

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 01:37:20 pm »
Thanks for the replies Bakersdozen and Walt B.  So definitely a smoker, hive tool, and bee brush; and I'm thinking a jacket/veil combo would be a better choice for me.  My sister recently reminded me that when I was a child I had a reaction to a bee sting that scared the bejeezus out of my folks, so just to be safe I should err on the side of caution.   

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 01:43:47 pm »
Walt says... "Wear as much as you need to be comfortable working the bees."

Bakersdozen repeats... "Wear as much as you need to be comfortable working the bees."

Iddee reiterates... "Wear as much as you need to be comfortable working the bees."

Now, My suggestion is buy a tie on veil, a hat if you don't have one that will do, a hooded, zip-up jacket, a pair of goatskin gloves, a 7 inch smoker with a wire guard around it, 2 hive tools, the woodwork you need for the colonies you are starting with, a super for each, and a complete hive for a spare. You will use it all at one point in time, I promise.

A brush?? I buy 5 paint brushes of different sizes at the flea market for 99 cent. A wing feather from a chicken, turkey or duck works even better. Pine needles, an old t-shirt or blue jeans, dry grass after mowing, pet bed wood chips, all work for smoker fuel. A self lighting propane torch is one of my favorite tools.

Now wear a three layer space suit the first few trips if that is what is needed to make you comfortable around the bees. Shed each piece as you become accustomed to being around them. If you are comfortable and calm, so are the bees. If you are nervous and fidgety, so are the bees.

OH, and before I forget..... "Wear as much as you need to be comfortable working the bees."
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 01:50:23 pm »
I really have nothing to add to that except "Wear as much as you need to be comfortable working the bees."
I have upgraded a couple times as far as suits go, the next time it will just be a jacket. I go through a lot of hives at one time, so I like to err on the side of caution (comfort).
No gloves except nitrile like Walt, they can sting through them but you have clean hands at the end of it.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Finally Home

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 01:57:31 pm »
This is my first year and I bought a jacket with hood.  Still wear it sometimes, and sometimes I don't.  Bought gloves but haven't used them yet.  I agree with the others.  It's what you're comfortable with.  Been stung on the hands a few times but not much swelling.  Actually made them feel better at times.
With the swarms I caught seems the veil is a good way to go till they have been here a week or two.

Offline Zulu

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 03:06:55 pm »
Iddee practicing what he preaches

When the apprentice (me) messes up (3 years ago).........    but not a sting

How I started out with Iddee 3 years ago, but  today I am without protection 99% of the time

Zulu's Bees

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 03:29:31 pm »
Now I do agree with everything that was said above and can only add one thing to it.

There is a difference in the veils and what you can see through them. I don't have the best eyes anymore and what I have found is the veils that are metal screen wire I can see eggs in the bottoms of the cells really well, but the plastic mesh veils i can not hardly see them at all.

Most times I go with out any protection either, the gals will tell you how to dress and when to retreat also.

I almost have to put my nose on the comb to see the eggs.........

You can stop laughing at me now! :laugh: :laugh:
Bees are bees and do as they please!

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline efmesch

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 04:08:49 pm »
JanO says: " I don't want to buy something that will only sit around and collect dust."

It's a nice point but inevitable.  You'll find that as you start out you'll need more protective gear, but as you gain experience, you'll be able to put some things aside.  Some items will sit and collect dust until the season causes the need (like extra protection when removing honey),  others will be essential almost always.  It's hard to say what items are the most vital because there will always be someone to say "I get along just fine without it",  But I would list the three most essential items in my opinion as being:
1. Bee veil
2. Smoker
3. Hive tool. 
All are on the same level of importance.
Other items like, gloves, boots, brush, are on the seasonally needed list. 
As you can see from the catalogues, there a lot more items to be had, and you'll find many of them to very helpful, but  thesse items (like uncapping and extracting tools) can be bought later on, as the need arises.
Last comment:   You'll probably find yourself enjoying beekeeping more as you learn to build your own selected items (like a solar wax extractor).
There's a lot more to be said on the subject, I'm sure additional posts will fill in more and express different opinions.

Offline Zulu

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 04:45:47 pm »
Great points eff

Iddee does own a bee suit, and yes I have seen him wear it too, we were working a swarm that was not friendly and by the time both of us took about 10-20 stings, I retreated with Iddee 1 ft behind me :-)

I have a very nice breeze jacket and have used it a half dozen times, so worth having.

Lastly the wisdom of my mentor, Iddee , :" I'll work a hive without gear, but NEVER without smoke "
Zulu's Bees

Offline rrog13

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2014, 05:23:01 pm »
I like using the nitrile gloves also. The regular gloves are just too cumbersome for me.  The only time I’ve had them actually sting through it was while doing a cut out.  I put my fingers where they didn’t belong….whoops.  If you ever expect you might do a cut out, you may want to purchase a vented jacket at least.  If you have to do a cut out that’s above you, you’ll be glad you have it.  I don’t mind getting stung, I’d just rather not get it in the face.
I can relate to G3….seeing through that mesh veil for me can be tough.  :-\

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2014, 05:36:48 pm »
You're right, Richard. Cutouts take a special bee suit.   :o   :D

“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline rrog13

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2014, 05:52:01 pm »
LOL....that's what you call a manly man!   I'm not there yet.  :D

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
    • http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2014, 05:54:39 pm »
Iddee practicing what he preaches
How I started out with Iddee 3 years ago, but  today I am without protection 99% of the time

Those are some great pictures!
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
    • http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2014, 06:01:25 pm »
Everyone has their own opinion I suppose.

Working bees in the summer is hot work.

I'm a wus, so I have a bee suit.  I started out with a jacket and hood, but it was too hot for me.  Then I heard about a ventilated suit, and I got one of those.  Heavier but much much cooler.  I prefer the flying saucer type veil as opposed to the fencing mask type veil.  I wear gloves, too.  But I don't like stings.  I got my dad a ventilated suit, too.  If I'm just going to pop the top off for a second, I'll  just use a veil.  Eyes are irreplaceable.

I wear a back brace, too.  I strained my back last spring and was in bed when the bees needed feeding and tending.  That's a terrible feeling.  Please take care of your back.

Keep a magnifying glass in your tool box.  It helps to see the eggs and such in the cells.  And a big flat magnet in your pocket will keep your hive tool handy.

Think about where you've got to go and what you've got to do when placing your hives.  Mine are about 50 yards from the shed where the extractor is.  I got one of those green wagons from Tractor Supply to pull my supers and stuff around in.  If you're hives are a distance away, you might want to make room for a truck or car to get into your yard so you don't have to carry hive boxes for large distances.

Just some random thoughts.  Hope it helps.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2014, 06:12:35 pm »
I really have nothing to add to that except "Wear as much as you need to be comfortable working the bees."  just like Perry said.
   ZULU.. what you posted is more relevant than most folks think.

I had the advantage of helping someone for quite a while before I got my own bees.  That someone quite enjoyed getting me stung, and then enjoyed harassing me if I wore protective gear. As a novice I tended to trust him a little too much.   Hey, if hes going to stand there with NO protective gear on, I can do it as well!
   Didn't take me long to figure out that bees are pretty smart. They went after the guy tearing the hive apart, not the guy standing a step away, calmly, without moving.   I also learned that over the years his skin had either become harder than dried leather, AND he had no feeling left in that old leather skin.  However, getting stung quite a bit made me quite a lot more accepting of stings. I dont often show any reaction, once in a while getting s small swollen hard spot at the site of the sting, so I usually dont wear a veil or even gloves.
   The exception to that might be in the fall, especially if it has been a very dry summer. Most bees I have dealt with get more testy as fall comes on. They also get testy if they are queenless.

I had a tie on Veil, but found that if things went badly, the bees VERY swiftly found the gaps between shirt and veil. There are a few times I had more bees INSIDE the veil than were clustering on the outside. Once the bees get in, the Veil is not longer a comforting thing to have on!!
   So with doing cut outs, and having met some REALLY nasty bees in the process added in, the time came to invest in better protection.
   I ordered Ultra Breeze suits. One jacket/veil, and one full suit/veil.    I am quite impressed with them so far, but have yet to begin testing them. Will give an update on them as time passes. Part of the decision I made was because of the open mesh. Inspecting at 95 degrees isnt fun with a non vented bee suit, and it isnt often I felt I would need a suit in COLD weather.
   What everyone else has said is true. You NEED to be confident and comfortable. If you begin to worry and fret about doing inspections then your not enjoying something you SHOULD be enjoying.   Whatever you get, make sure you are happy with it!
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2014, 06:44:29 pm »
When folks come to my yard to pic up a nuc I always tell them most times I don't wear anything but if they have something they wished to wear by all means put it on. One family came a bought two nucs, had a little boy and girl with them. We went through both nucs, found the queen and installed them in his 10 frame box. Finally the little boy asked me "Can I put on the bee suite my Dad bought me, I've been dieing to wear it" I got the biggest laugh out of it since we were through working the bees.
Bees are bees and do as they please!

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2014, 08:05:37 pm »
there is no shame if you choose to wear protective gear.  one learns or decides what their 'comfort' level is when it comes to working bees and the temperament of your bees.  some of us have employment where large reactions to stings might not be so conducive, or we just suffer larger reactions than others that are uncomfortable.  i don't care for stings to my face, so have always worn a veil, many keeps don't care for the sting reactions anywhere.  sometimes i wear coveralls, or full gear, like for spring work, dividing; or taking supers off in the fall, and gloves.  sometimes our bees also dictate what we wear or don't wear for protective gear.  with that said, no matter what gear i have on, i always use a smoker.

your style and your confidence is the key.
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Zulu

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2014, 08:19:49 pm »
Lazybkpr I am sad to hear that a mentor treated you with disdain like that, I have never had an experience like that , nor would I ever disparage someone who chose to suit up.

When I have visitors in my yard I give each a veil at minimum, I also explain how bees will bump if they feel you are too close,  also anyone under age of 18 is made to wear a veil irrespective of their own bravado.

Yes my pictures are a little tongue in cheek, but do make a clear statement by example too. Those are just the ones that I had on hand, plenty more of our Beeks , suited and not.

Zulu's Bees