Author Topic: Waxing Plastic Foundation  (Read 29082 times)

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
Re: Waxing Plastic Foundation
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2014, 10:20:40 am »
heh, heh, heh, good one iddee. 8) Jack

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2014, 10:47:30 am »
oh for pete's sake, start a thread, leave the forum since late yesterday, come back and 20 some replies later i am reading about cow patties and ice cream..... :D i knew when i started this thread there was going to be a little discussion from jack on waxing frames......jack fyi, from the same author:

"Plastic or wax foundation, which is best? Your personal opinion based on a variety of factors will determine the answer. If you decide to go with plastic, and many have, then there is one more task to complete. To elevate plastic foundation acceptance to the level of wax you need to add some additional wax to the edges of the cells. This gives the bees some additional raw material with which to initiate comb construction until their wax glands kick into high gear. Once additional wax has been added, plastic foundation becomes not only the equal of its older brother, but in my opinion it becomes superior to wax foundation. "

my opinion as well.......jack, missouri is a short drive for me with a box of pierco foundation.......BATTA BING!!! :D
and another thing jack, this is how i wax my frames, as tec described, he says here he got the idea from one of your friends?  ;D

"I got this directly from one of Brooks's Missouri friends... instead of a brush get yourself one of those small diameter foam trim paint rollers (I buy my own from Lowes).  you do have to set the roller in the wax for a bit to let the foam absorb the wax but once you do it is one quick pass with the roller, place roller back in wax, flip the wax foundation, another quick pass and you are done.  as far as I KNOW efficiency in this process is also about the size of the wax pot relative to the job at hand."

ps works really well.
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2014, 12:41:32 pm »
Perry,Edward and Squirt, you shot your self in the foot by stating, If you want to get the bees to take plastic foundation, you have to sweeten the pie with real bees wax. :D I rest my case. Jack  :laugh: :laugh:

PS. Looks like i win again. ;D

Offline Edward

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2014, 01:10:33 pm »
PS. Looks like i win again. ;D

;D laugh while you can, after we have extracted our plastic frames and you're still stuck extracting your broken wax frames trying to clean up the mess give us a call  :D

mvh Edward  :P
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best-" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2014, 01:21:57 pm »
""but in my opinion it becomes superior to wax foundation""

Opinions are like where cow patties come from. Everybody has one and most of them stink.

Edward, I've never broken a wooden frame with wax foundation. I have pulled plastic foundation out of others hives after the bees refused to touch it.

“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Edward

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2014, 02:00:30 pm »
You've never had a wax frame brake under extraktion?

I've had many, but none of my plastic frames have broken and they take less time to extrakt  ;)

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best-" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2014, 02:04:01 pm »
mine may take more time, but they take less exertion than yours do.

My adult niece loves to turn the handle.   :P    :D
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Edward

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2014, 02:16:48 pm »
My finger hurts from turning on the  C:-) switch  C:-) :laugh:

If only I could get someone to help me with it  :laugh: ;D

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2014, 02:43:17 pm »
Edward, some of these fellas drive cars and trucks with a half ton of plastic in them, but you don't hear them longing for the good ole days of horse and buggy!  ;)
Awfully selective when it comes to the obvious advantage of plastic I'd say.  :P
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2014, 02:59:39 pm »
"My finger hurts from turning on the  C:-) switch"........

give it up edward, jack likes to be in the dark.......... :D
Forum Sponsor

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2014, 03:01:57 pm »
i just posted a poll on what type of foundation (or not) each of us use.  be interesting to see the results......... ;D
Forum Sponsor

Offline Edward

« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2014, 03:18:09 pm »
Edward, some of these fellas drive cars and trucks with a half ton of plastic in them, but you don't hear them longing for the good ole days of horse and buggy!  ;)
Awfully selective when it comes to the obvious advantage of plastic I'd say.  :P

Maybee that were they get the horse apples and cow patties from for their ice Cream  :laugh: :laugh: ;D

Offline Edward

« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2014, 03:20:56 pm »
i just posted a poll on what type of foundation (or not) each of us use.  be interesting to see the results......... ;D

Plastic in the supers and wax in the brood box. :yes:

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2014, 03:26:58 pm »
Show me the plastic, Perry............................

― Shel Silverstein

Offline Edward

« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2014, 03:33:44 pm »
And if you can't decide use aluminum bars http://www.fribi.se/FriBi/Skattlada.html

"(The super box may bees wax sheets to start on. If there is nectar to flow and the bees are strong, they can fill a 25 kg box in a week, weather permitting.
Above and below each box is a hard-board with beespace Each box is a removable drive. .)"

This is how they extract http://www.fribi.se/FriBi/Utvinning.html

"(Upper wear plate pressure off.
The aluminum profiles prized out.
Honeycombs toppled in the mill.
Finished honey is pumped from the separator to the tanks.
After clarification, seeding and stirring dropped the finished honey 500g glass jars.)"

There was some talk about a one time super in a paper box that you could send to the larger honey gossist for processing

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2014, 03:55:35 pm »
I know it's off topic, but man I like the look of those tractors (Fords).
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2014, 05:06:12 pm »
I know it's off topic, but man I like the look of those tractors (Fords).

Makes me want to send my Fergie to him for a little painting...
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2014, 09:28:33 pm »
Nice idee, it looks like a 9N?Hey Riverbee,Perry, and Edward,i may have to take back some of the bad things i've said about plastic products, i was driving by where they was getting things ready for the summer time swap meet. They was unloading brand new plastic Port A Potties for there customers,so plastic would be better than bees wax for this product and anything related to it. ;D Jack

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2014, 10:08:18 pm »
Not quite that old, Jack. It's an 8n.

Yep, you're right. Plastic is good for some things.
― Shel Silverstein

Offline tecumseh

« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2014, 06:41:01 am »
that is a very cool link Edward.  Can't read a word... but quite obviously some clever thinking going on there.  Have you tried any of that and if yes, does it work?