Author Topic: SHB knocking at Nova Scotia's door  (Read 1580 times)

Offline 40 Acre Bees

SHB knocking at Nova Scotia's door
« on: August 28, 2017, 07:55:48 pm »
This really sucks

Hello NS Beekeepers,

I am contacting you in regards to recent identifications of an invasive honey bee pest, Small Hive Beetle (SHB), in New Brunswick beekeeping operations. We continue to receive reports of SHB being found in NB locations including Aulac near the NS border.  This close proximity to our shared border is a concern as NS bee yards may be within flight range of SHB adults.

The NS Department of Agriculture will be conducting SHB surveillance along the NS border with NB. Surveillance will include installation of SHB traps in some apiaries deemed most at risk.

Section 5 of the Bee Industry Regulations authorizes the Provincial Apiculturist to request location information from beekeepers, including the number of hives in each apiary, the civic address and geographic location of each apiary and any other details necessary to find the apiaries including specific hives on the beekeepers land. Information is required to be provided by the beekeeper within 24 hr following a request.

I am asking anyone who currently has honey bee hives situated within 20 km of the NS/NB border to contact me so that the Department can initiate surveillance activities.  If you intend to relocate hives from this area I ask that you first contact me to discuss risk mitigation measures before moving hives.

SHB is a potentially damaging pest to Nova Scotia’s bee industry.  I remind beekeepers to be vigilant and report suspected findings to me. Please find attached the SHB Identification Poster from the Atlantic Technology Transfer Team for Apiculture also circulated in a prior e-mail.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Re: SHB knocking at Nova Scotia's door
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 08:50:22 pm »
Government. Nuff said! >:(
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter