Author Topic: Anaphylaxis  (Read 10111 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Binkybee

  • New Member
  • *
  • Posts: 1
  • Gender: Female
  • Location: East Greenwich, Rhode Island
« on: September 27, 2019, 07:57:53 am »
Want to continue beekeeping, but just experienced anaphylaxis.  What to do now?

Offline robo

  • Senior Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 857
  • Thanked: 86 times
  • Gender: Male
  • Beekeep On!
    • Ramblings, Rants, & Ravings
  • Location: Scenic Catskill Mountains
Re: Anaphylaxis
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 08:30:31 am »
For what it is worth,  I worked closely with Amber Rose, who is an expert in BVT and was trained by Charles Mraz, a few years back and she claimed to have stung over 10,000 people and never had anyone go into anaphylactic shock that followed her protocol.  I did two  podcasts with her that are probably worth a listen.


"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

The following users thanked this post: Bakersdozen, Binkybee

Offline hamptor

  • Regular Member
  • **
  • Posts: 99
  • Thanked: 2 times
  • Gender: Female
  • Location: Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
Re: Anaphylaxis
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2019, 04:49:04 pm »
I got stung under my eye 3 years ago and went into anaphylactic shock.  No pulse in extremities.  Heart rate plummeted.  It wasn’t good.  Thank goodness EMS got to me quickly and injected the ephinephrine.  I was sent to the ER, and after release, they scheduled an appointment with an allergist for me.  I went, fully expecting the allergist to tell me to give up beekeeping.  Instead, he said I didn’t need to give it up.  He put me on an antivenom shot regiment.  It was a lot of shots, but insurance covered it completely and I’ve been bee keeping ever since.  Full disclosure - I do dress like I’m headed into a snow storm EVERY time I go into my hives because I don’t want that to happen again.  I’ve been stung a total of 5 times in the last 3 years - each time when I was not in the hives but nearby.  I’ve had no bad reactions since then.  If I get stung, I go inside, take 2 Benadryl, wait for 15 - 20 minutes to make sure everything is OK, and so far it has been.  Just letting you know my experience.  Hope for the best for you!
The following users thanked this post: Binkybee