Author Topic: Mother of All Regular Mouth Jars  (Read 1186 times)

Offline Jacobs

• Which one do I keep?
Mother of All Regular Mouth Jars
« on: March 29, 2015, 01:46:35 pm »

I don't know where Iddee finds this stuff, but this is a 1 gallon regular mouth jar.  I had been getting half gallon regular mouth jars from him, from flea markets and from yard sales.  He mentioned at the last meeting of the Guilford Beekeepers that he had a couple of 1 gallon regular mouth jars, and that I was welcome to come and get them.  I did that this morning when I went to help him move a hive.

When temperatures stay above freezing, I use the larger glass jars with chicken waterer bases to keep water for my bees in the city.  This jar is pictured beside two 1 quart plastic jars that I keep out when temperatures may go below freezing.

Keeping water out for the bees has served me well.  Several months ago, a neighbor with some bee knowledge came to complain about bees in her bird bath.  My neighbor and I pointed out my waterer jars and that we both kept water on the top of our rain barrels for the bees.  I explained that it was possible that some of my bees were going to her water, but that bees are good economists and would not likely go a couple of hundred yards past my water to get to her bird bath.  I also let her know that there were other beehives in the neighborhood and probably some bees in hollow trees in the park near our homes.  (Iddee had done a trapout for the City in that park a several years back.)  I also gave her a jar of honey.  Yesterday, she came by to return the empty and to purchase another jar of honey.

Thanks to Iddee, I don't have to worry about the bees emptying water jars if I am not around for a day or so.

Bees are going heavily to water today at 43°F with brood rearing really ramping up.