Author Topic: 3/4 plywood.  (Read 5840 times)

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
3/4 plywood.
« on: May 13, 2017, 06:50:17 pm »
Boxes made , 10 frame deeps with 3/4 plywood. If they only last 3yrs.  5 boxes and a nuc frome 1 sheet of wood

Not using them yet.  Thinking about stainless steel handles.

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
Re: 3/4 plywood.
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 07:42:04 pm »
Looks good Mikey. :) For handles you can glue and screw (from the inside) strips of wood for cleats. It works pretty good for me for handles.
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a
The following users thanked this post: Mikey N.C.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 07:56:08 pm »
If you paint them up well they should last a lot longer than 3 years. Well done. :)
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter
The following users thanked this post: Mikey N.C.

Offline CBT

• Gold Member
  • Age gets better with wine
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 08:23:57 am »
When you add handles place them above center. Ask Perry. :yes:

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 09:36:00 am »
One sheet 3/4 plywood. $27.00 makes 5 ten frame deep boxes and 1 nuc 5 frame.
The following users thanked this post: Newbee

Offline badly stung

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 12:46:50 pm »
Just be sure to use exterior grade plywood.

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2017, 03:25:54 pm »
My plywood hive bodies are well painted and painted again, but still delaminate...So, exterior plywood is a good idea.  :)
Lee_Burough

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2017, 05:19:45 pm »
Good idea for the screwed on wood cleat handle........

Cut the cleat with a 5-10 degree angle on the top and bottom. The top of the cleat will angle down thus shedding water and the bottom of the cleat will also angle down providing a positive hand hold.

Use wood screws instead of sheet rock type screws. Sheet rock type screws are hardened. They can and will snap sometimes if over tightened.

Those deeps look really good too.

I have several nucs made from 1/2" plywood that are not painted and have lasted for several years. All I do with them is cover with a piece of campaign sigh big enough to hang over all four sides.
Bees are bees and do as they please!

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline Green bee

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2017, 06:22:47 pm »
Mikey I've been thinking about using advan tech it's sold at lowes. From what I've read on it it supposed to be excellent for water resistance. I have seen people make boat docks out of it. It's like 23.00 a sheet. Do a little reasearch on it let me know what you think.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2017, 06:57:30 pm »
Im thinking that of using that elastomearic membrane roofing sealant white but don't know pros & cons

Offline rcannon

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2017, 08:47:57 pm »
Good looking boxes. You mentioned using Advantech, I have used it for about a year and am impressed. I posted about this topic March was a year ago. I have several tops that I never painted to see how they held up. They're a little discolored from the sun, but as intact as they can be. I don't have any complaints about it except it's ugly.

Offline Green bee

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2017, 09:42:29 pm »
Good looking boxes. You mentioned using Advantech, I have used it for about a year and am impressed. I posted about this topic March was a year ago. I have several tops that I never painted to see how they held up. They're a little discolored from the sun, but as intact as they can be. I don't have any complaints about it except it's ugly.
       Nice thanks for letting us know. I been wondering if anyone has tried it out on bee boxes. Think I might try it as well. I have heard lots of good things about it and its cheep. What thicknesses can you get it in? I've only seen it in 23/32.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2017, 11:50:44 pm »
I roofed the house I built in Maine with Advantech. At that time I believe they guaranteed it for fifty years, even if it was submerged. I tried to buy it here, and was told it wasn't made anymore...   Built my house, and found out I was lied to...   Sent Menards a letter stating my anger, along with the note and the guys name that told me that...  naturally I didn't get any response. It has been twenty years since I used it, but at that time, I LOVED it!  Naturally it rained while I was trying to slap tar paper on the roof... the roof stayed perfect, but had to replace some of the plywood on the floor under that roof when it warped.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline rcannon

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2017, 08:58:12 pm »
23/32 is the only thickness I've found. I get it at Lowes for $28/sheet. It's good stuff.