Author Topic: Hive Inspection Review  (Read 2101 times)

Offline Newbee

Hive Inspection Review
« on: July 12, 2018, 05:07:26 pm »
It's been rather hot here lately, and I've been busy with work, so hadn't done an inspection in 4-6 weeks. Everything was looking fine, hive growing well, and lots of flowers and pollen in the area, so I wasn't worried. I had added a second hive body about 3-4 weeks ago, put the hivetop feeder back on w/ 1:1 sugarwater, and was just poking my nose in the 2nd (new, top) hive body to keep an eye on the girls. They had been letting me do that w/o smoking or suiting up, just a quick peek (all proud of myself for being brave,  :laugh: ).

Well I noticed a lot more bearding lately, and about a week ago I tried a 'peek', and they stung me (first time!), so  figured I better get a looksee. There has also been foulbrood reported in this end of the state. My Apiary is registered, and I did not get an inspection letter, though a friend nearby did (Slowmodem - he said the inspector came by today, all clean!).

These are Russian bee's from Kelley's Bee's (Arkansas breeder I understand?), package installed at the end of April this year. Some old comb, mostly new frames, not worried about honey, just want to get the hive built up and ready for winter (was robbed out in fall of last year, lost hive). If anything, I was thinking of trying to split them, and lo and behold, think I have a queen forming! (see pic)

Thought I'd post some pics from today and ask for everyone'e help and opinions. I've still got a lot to learn when looking at things, so please, fire away with your thoughts and advice!

New frames in the 2nd hive body (nice patterning here).

Also 2nd hive body. Think there's a queen in there?

Brood frame from the original hive body. Irregular pattern

Close up of said frame - can see eggs a few days old on zoom, so I think original queen is still in there doing well.

Another frame from original hive body, loaded w/ nurse bee's!

Some fat man in the woods playing with bee's.....

Thanks for the advice!

Kevin

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
Re: Hive Inspection Review
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 06:47:26 pm »
It looks more like "wonky" comb in the second photo not a queen cell.  Just my opinion.  Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 11:00:36 pm »
agree with ted, this is just 'wonky comb' or bridge comb built between frames that were not placed together properly and/or just bees being bees.

kevin, my opinion, your queen is not laying well. the brood pattern is too spotty. 
package bees/queen arrived in april and hived ought to be doing much better than this with tight, solid brood patterns.  i don't think i would have added the 2nd deep.

also about 'being brave'..... keeping stinging insects that are annoyed when we open a hive is really not good practice, the smoker isn't just for us, it is for the bees as well.  always use a smoker when you check them. you don't need much, just a few puffs.

ps. will fix your pix to orient correctly
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 10:44:26 am »
...kevin, my opinion, your queen is not laying well. the brood pattern is too spotty...
Agreed, that is NOT a good brood pattern.  So, the question is why is the brood pattern the way it is?  Is the queen skipping cells as she lays?  You can figure that out by looking for eggs.  If there is an egg in every cell, (meaning no cells skipped while she is laying), then the bees are selectively removing some larvae or the later developmental stage of the (capped) pre-pupa and pupa. 

Now, that last sentence opens a B-I-G subject area that won't be covered properly here. 

If a queen has mated with drones that are too closely related, the brood pattern can look like that because bees will recognize the larvae fertilized from that sperm and eliminate them from the brood pattern. 

The more likely cause of that 'shotgun' brood pattern is from bees removing developing pupa because of mites inside the capped cells.  Don't panic, we all have mites, but they need to be dealt with (This is another B-I-G subject area, and we all do not agree how to handle mites).  Look for mite feces inside the open cells where brood has been.  HTH   :)

P.S.  Add the next super when 70-80% of the frames in the old super are drawn with honeycombs and covered with bees.  When you do add the next super, take two drawn combs from edges of the brood nest, (don't put brood in the new super), and put them in the center of the new super.  Replace the drawn frames with frames and foundation.

P.P.S.  Please let Slowmodem know we miss his regular input here.  :)
Lee_Burough

Offline Newbee

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2018, 07:54:24 am »
Thanks for all the info fella's! I appreciate the advice.
The brood in the less-developed frames was tighter, and initially, it was as well. I have seen SHB in this hive (had problems with it last year). Put in some beetle blaster traps last inspection, did not catch a one (last year they were successful). I don't know if I'm up to doing a mite count, frankly, that was one of the reasons I tried the Russian bee's this year, but I do have a package of mite strips from last year I could try. However I wondered if treating the russian bee's would somehow take away from their natural hygienic behaviour?
THanks again for the advice!
(Slowmodem's been very busy with work, I hardly talk to him either, but will pass the kind words along!)

- K

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2018, 01:47:10 pm »
Newbee,
I've never used plastic frames. Those drawn cells look big to me almost like drone cells , i maybe wrong ?
Here's a good laying Q in yard

Offline CBT

• Gold Member
  • Age gets better with wine
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2018, 09:27:23 pm »
These days it is important that we test for mites first. If for no other reason but to be keep in practice. Beware of out of date product as I here some get stronger with age. Heard of a guy that had a bee store and used his old product and he told me never again.
The following users thanked this post: Newbee

Offline Newbee

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2018, 06:45:05 pm »
Well lookee who put in appearance today?!
I had put in a Mite Quick Strip last week Sunday, and went in today to remove. Lit the smoker, opened her up and the first frame I pulled, there she was (weird, on the 2nd/upper hive body? Never seen her up there before, and the frames are not nearly as well developed.)

I was looking at the pics after the fact and noticed the cells around her - right behind in fact is a good view, the larvae looks funny to me? Usually the distinct curled shape is easy to spot, though I do think I see egg's all around her? Would appreciate anyone else's thoughts and insights. I'm getting a little nervous about the health of this hive. Been feeding syrup last 2 weeks, and planning on putting robber-screens on soon (can't decide if I should buy pre-made or try making myself). Lots of activity outside the hive, coming back with loads of orange colored pollen.

I removed the Mite Strip, and swapped the lower with the upper, hoping they will draw out all the frames with wax. Seeing lots of pollen stores, and they're saving up the syrup making honey. Did not do a real thorough inspection since I saw the queen. I plan on giving the hive a week off and trying another Mite Quick strip next Sunday.

Thanks.

- Kevin

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2018, 08:31:01 pm »
It looks OK to me the cells behind and just below have eggs in them standing up. The cells with larva 2 cells below the queen and cells with eggs filled with a good amount of bee bread/royal jelly have very small larva just hatched less than 12 hr ago look good. this is the 2nd laying in the frame and the bees are cleaning the cells as the capped brood emerges so the queen can lay in the cells again. the cells with royal jelly and larva in them that are behind the queen are not at the right angle to see larva properly to make a assessment on it. Keep in mind the queen and bees will only work and lay in space that the colony has bees to cover.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline Newbee

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2018, 12:06:41 pm »
Thank you Apis! I value your opinion and appreciate you taking the time to give the image a closer look.
Usually when I see the larvae with jelly on them, you can make out the crescent shape more distinctly. The one's there kinda looked non-distinct. I was worried something was wrong w/ them (aka chalkbrood or foulbrood - there have recently been some cases of foulbrood discovered in some of the counties around here).
Overall the hive seems active and happy, but this is only my 2nd year keeping bee's, so I'm not really that experienced.
Thanks again for your time!

- K

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2018, 08:57:14 pm »
Foulbrood will have a more coffee colored appearance, not white.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter