Author Topic: Lemon Balm  (Read 3141 times)

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
Lemon Balm
« on: September 29, 2015, 01:34:03 pm »
My daughter doesn't want the lemon balm in her contained yard because it's so very invasive. But I've been reading that it's a good plant for bees. Anyone have any experience with lemon balm in thier yard or surrounding property?
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
Re: Lemon Balm
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 05:56:04 pm »
Hi Jen.  I begged my wife not to plant lemon balm, she insisted.  It only took a couple years for it to completely take over our herb bed.  It took SEVERAL years to finally eradicate it from the garden.  It's nice stuff, pretty and useful.  But if not controlled it can get out of hand.  I think it's a member of the mint family, but can't say for sure going from memory.  It spreads by underground runners AND from seed.  I was trying to keep it in check with a sharp spade, which did help with the runners, however the seeds were a whole other thing.  I like it, and would like to grow it, I just don't have the time to keep it contained.  Well, I have the time, I'd just rather spend that time doing things I find more enjoyable!  This was all pre-bees so I can't speak to it being good forage or not.  Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 05:58:39 pm »
Thanks Ted  :)  I would be putting it on the bank behind our fence and just let it do it's thing, but birds will bring the seeds into the yard.... hmmm, still thinking
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Les

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 09:36:34 pm »
I wouldn't plant it, you will regret it.  I would plant Borage, it self seeds and the main plant dies back and bees love it.