Beekeeping > Bee News

Vandals Caught!

(1/2) > >>

Lburou:
I couldn't find the original post announcing the honey bee vandalism of 50 hives in Sioux City...But HERE is an article announcing the apprehension of the teenage vandals.   :yes:

efmesch:
Episodes like this are so upsetting---how can one understand the motivation of two young boys vandalizing the hives and destroying the bees and the income of a family business? 
It shows people at their best (those who organized spontaneously and donated so generously to help enable the repair of damages and replace the losses) and at their worst (the young vandals).
Here's hoping that there won't be repeat performances of such vandalism elsewhere.
When the case comes to court, a wise judge would find an educational way of punishing the boys---get them involved in beekeeping and use their earnings to pay for what they did--even if it takes a long time

Bakersdozen:
Thanks for posting a follow up, Lee.
Efmesch, those are my sentiments exactly.  The judge should require the boys to assist in rebuilding all the equipment that they destroyed.  "Boys, grab a hammer and nails and start assembling frames.  When you are done with frames, start putting together supers.  Then you can paint them."  Replacing 50 double hive bodies plus supers will keep them busy for a long time.

Wandering Man:
That would seem appropriate, Bakers, but unlikely. I think the community wants something more serious for the teens. However, if it’s a first offense, the judge could add that to their probated sentence and fines.

The short articles I’ve read down here seem to be focused on $60,000 loss, and their go fund me account with $30,000 in donations.

Does $60 grand sound right for 50 hives? $1,200 a hive? I wonder what else was in the shed that got destroyed?

Some Day:
It seems to me that the boys like to dismantle things.  I think they should have to dismantle the 50 re-populated double hives into nucs in late July. Of course they should do it with only a hive tool, no smoker and no head net.  A nice overcast day when all of the foragers are home would be nice also.

The apiary owners could sell tickets for spectators to watch the event.

It is probably a good thing that I did not go to law school and become a judge.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version