Author Topic: PROF TOM SEELY SWARM SET; YOU TUBE VIDEOS  (Read 15873 times)

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
PROF TOM SEELY SWARM SET; YOU TUBE VIDEOS
« on: July 04, 2016, 11:50:10 pm »
this is a series of 10 videos on swarm behavior/swarming by professor tom seely. each video very short but a great glimpse into swarm behavior.
description:

"This is the full 10 part series in order. Prof Tom Seeley explains his research findings on how bees go through the entire process of swarming to find a new home. Recorded at Cornell University in 2010 and subsequently published on ScienceFriday.com." :

SEELY SWARMSET-YOU TUBE

my favorite two videos:

this one entitled PIPER & BUZZ RUNNERS:
"Published on Oct 26, 2015 Part 4 in which Prof. Seeley explains that the consensus of scouts must now announce that a new home site has been selected and arouse the resting bees to get ready to fly there."

wax scales being produced entiltled WAX SIXPACKS:
"Published on Oct 26, 2015
In part 9 Prof Seeley shows and tells about bees making wax."

also, i have uploaded a pdf file from bee culture june 2016; SWARM SIGNALS.
a short but good article describing how the bees warm their flight muscles to swarm takeoff  and a short description on buzz running and piping/communication of scout bees.

i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor
The following users thanked this post: Bakersdozen

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
Re: PROF TOM SEELY SWARM SET; YOU TUBE VIDEOS
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 09:10:49 am »
A great series of videos, thanks riverbee!

Dr. Rangel, one of Dr. Seeley's doctoral students, did research on some of these points for her doctoral thesis...click here to hear her 107 minute explanation of that research given at Britain's National Honey Show.  :)

One interesting point she discovered was that bees can actually scout potential hive locations BEFORE they swarm.  Those same bees camped at the new location and defended it against scouts from other colonies.  Very interesting research!  :)
Lee_Burough

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 01:21:28 pm »
Good videos for sure.

I got to see two different swarms battling for the same spot one day, very interesting. Could not figure out what all of the fighting was about as I was removing a swarm from a wall that had just moved in hours before. Got a call a little later in the day and another swarm had moved into the next cavity over.
Bees are bees and do as they please!

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 09:13:31 pm »
WOOT!!!   I was waiting for this!!   I EMailed him some time ago, and he replied that he was making a video to explain more fully...   THANK YOU Mrs River.. got to go make a rum and coke and watch this!
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 02:36:59 am »
thanks scott! i enjoy and learn something every time i read or see something from seeley. wish i had his knowledge! 
leave it to you to send him an email! 

a great set of videos! short, (my attention span for you tube vids is not very long......... :D :D :D)
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 02:09:58 pm »
I guess I asked him about his research in bees repopulating the Arnot forest after reading an article on that....   I was wondering if they were surviving because they were swarming more often.

His reply;

Dear Scott,

I’m honored by your interest.   And the answer to your question is yes, I have strong evidence that colonies that live in small hives/nest cavities and so swarm at least annually are able to survive surprisingly well without mite treatments, despite being infested with Varroa, as are all the colonies in the Arnot Forest.

Your question is a spur to me to get that study written up and published.  Basically, it involved comparing the dynamics of mite and bee populations of colonies living in either a 1-deep hive body hive or in 4-deep hive body hives. 

My best,

Tom

Thomas D. Seeley
Horace White Professor in Biology

Oh well, age is hard on memory, and mine was never good to begin with!
   Scott
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*
The following users thanked this post: riverbee