Author Topic: Bees already in top box  (Read 1543 times)

Offline gibb

Bees already in top box
« on: November 22, 2019, 08:25:01 am »
I was placing my winter wraps on my hives this past Tuesday and found one hive with the cluster in the top box. So my concern is that they may deplete their food supply before the winters turns to spring? Any suggestions, I have fed them up and treated them for the winter using a double brood box system.
Jim

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: Bees already in top box
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2019, 08:46:27 am »
Sugar blocks. Google how to make them.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein
The following users thanked this post: gibb

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2019, 11:37:12 am »
Hi gibb, do you have inner covers on with the hole in the middle?
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline gibb

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2019, 12:56:41 pm »
I did and will make up some sugar blocks and yes Jen, there is an opening in the center of my cover.
Since the general rule with bees is they don't travel down I am worried that without some sort of help they will stave out.
Thanks for the help.
Jim

Online Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2019, 04:14:53 pm »
I would do the heft test before I started being concerned.   The heft test is to stand behind the hive, reach down and lift the bottom board along with the two brood boxes and lid an inch or two.   Is it light, is it heavy?  If you are uncertain, lift your other colonies so that you have a better idea.  If it is light, then I would make some sugar bricks aka sugar cakes and candy boards.  There have been numerous posts on this forum.  Many beekeepers make them slightly different.
Here's a familiar version. https://worldwidebeekeeping.com/forum/index.php?topic=7532.msg92906#msg92906

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2019, 08:50:06 am »
build or buy some 2" spacer shims & put candy blocks on top of the cluster. cut a notch in the front top rim of your inner cover & put a piece of 1" rigid foam on top of the inner cover. condensation is the bee killer. the foam will reduce condensation & the notched inner cover will allow it to vent off. during warm weather if you do not want a top entrance just slide the outer cover back against the hive to block it. if I have a warm day in January or February I check hives & relocate uneaten candy over the cluster or add some as needed. I use a hot plate outside to make syrup & candy to keep the inevitable mess out of the house. you can buy cheap baking pans ( goodwill ) or disposable shallow aluminum pans to mold the sugar blocks. here's 1 recipe.

mainebeekeepers.org/information-for-beekeepers/recipies-formulations/sugar-candy-and-syrup-recipes/

Online Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2019, 08:12:41 am »
Good website, rober.