Author Topic: Extractors  (Read 36197 times)

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Re: Extractors
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2013, 04:24:13 pm »
I was just wondering how the story ended up?
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Crofter

• ex pressure welder/steamfitter; now a tinker
  • Location: N. Ontario, On the shore of North Channel of Lake Huron 46.00 N. Lat.
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2013, 05:11:05 pm »
I picked up one of Mann Lakes 18/9 extractors last summer for my son and used it before I delivered to him. The tub is light enough to carry by one person. It is 26ga. so fairly thin. The other described here at 20 ga. would be much heavier. They do get some flexing and I thought where the tub bolts to the leg cradle should have extra chafe reinforcers at that point. I really like Mann Lake and get most of my supplies from them but if I do get another extractor for myself I think I would like to look at Maxants if you are using it commercially. I would not call Mann Lakes heavy duty.

I have the Mann lake 6/3 hand crank spinner that appears same company and construction as their 18/9. Hand cranking gets old quick but it is a nice little unit.
Frank

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2013, 07:02:16 pm »
Dont know yet myself!!!    LOL!!   The factory is shut down this week and the fellow is supposed to be digging it out of his garage during the shut down...   I cant ask again.. every time I do I get [THE LOOK ]   which means it is becoming a dangerous question.....
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
    • http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2013, 07:09:40 pm »
1625.00 US = 1727.21 Can.

Wow, I should have saved all those Canadian coins I got in change over the years!
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline Moots

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2014, 11:45:47 pm »
Dont know yet myself!!!    LOL!!   The factory is shut down this week and the fellow is supposed to be digging it out of his garage during the shut down...   I cant ask again.. every time I do I get [THE LOOK ]   which means it is becoming a dangerous question.....

LazyBkpr,
I think most of us are familiar with "THE LOOK"...

Not wanting to put you in any unnecessary danger or anything, but wondering if there's an update on the $100 extractor?  :)

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2014, 09:13:26 am »
MOOTS!!!    Welcome!!!!   Havent seen you to say Hi here yet!!!!!

Yes, started a new thread about it here

http://www.worldwidebeekeeping.com/forum/index.php/topic,456.msg4998.html#msg4998

Thanks for Joining us!!!

*Sponsor*

Offline keeperofthebees

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2014, 01:46:26 am »
Red-Green-Yellow Paint, with a clear plexiglass top?  Call the bee store and ask if said extractor was made by Lega or made in Italy, or made in China.

9 frame Lega

1.  Hand crank snapped off.
2.  Inspection cover removed on gearbox to take a look.
3.  Shank/crank mount on drive shaft was bastard size of aprox 5/8, which was unable to accept standard low rpm drill (200-400 rpm).
4.  Shank turned down on lathe to 1/2" for spade drill & router speed control(30 amp fuse on speed control).
5.  On slow rpms the gear on the drive shaft snapped.
6.  Upon inspection gear was pressed and crudely spot welded rather than keyed and fit onto drive shaft/spot weld on hard steel without pre-heat to bond metal).
7.  Gear had to be pressed back onto shaft & drilled out at the end in 2 spots stepping up drilling size from 1/16" to 1/4" and pins pressed in to bypass lack of keyed stock.

If you don't know a machinist, and aren't handy...Then for your wallets sake don't go red-yellow-green with a plastic-plexiglass top.  I couldn't even do 2 chest high stacks of boxes before it broke multiple times.  If you only have 1 hive, which it sounds like you don't based on the need for a powered unit; then stay clear of Lega/Italy and/or china.

Another problem with the 9 frame units is that in order to spin deep frames, you have to put baskets in it & then flip frames after spinning so long like the old 4 frame units.  Pure headache. 

What maxant doesn't advertise about the 10/20...20 frame extractor is that you need to replace a leather washer once in awhile.  I'd get 3 or 4 washers extra with the extractor.  I've had mine for 5 yrs now, and I'm really rough on machinery.  It's held up quite awhile now, and is easy to operate!  The best ones out there are the old 1940's - 1970's??? 80's, etc that were made heavy and rugged with american made bearings.  I'd buy the maxant if I were you...

Think of it like this:  10 deeps at once, or 20 supers...or 10 d-10 s.  The maxant is a welded stainless tank!!!  The green-red-yellow tanks with the clear plastic-plexiglass tops are alot of times soldered together.  Knowing the quality of internals on the Lega(Italian) extractors, and a welded/non-keyed drive shaft & gear...  I can imagine in the long term what the solder lines would do.  By the way, the Lega(Italian) units are made of such a thin gauge of stainless that the darn extractor bows in and out like squeezing a plastic cup.  Thats a fancy way of cracking solder lines down the road. 

Also ask if the green-yellow-red units out there have a plastic basket/reel in them.  The 9 frame green-yellow-red units with the clear tops the last I heard/saw had plastic reels/baskets to put the frames in.  The maxant 20 frame has a basket/reel made out of cast aluminum.  I'll let you be the judge of things when it comes down to it, but don't let the bright colors get your dollar.  Maxant makes a darn good quality product!  If you want to check one out sometime, then let me know.  I'm over in the southwest of wi, about a half hour from dubuque. 

To anyone else reading this, I'd suggest getting the green-yellow-red extractor with the clear plastic-plexiglass top only if you have a couple hives and aren't afraid of something breaking. 

Offline tecumseh

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2014, 06:37:40 am »
great addition to this thread keeperofthebees.... I know I don't like or enjoy inserting negative vides into a conversation but sometimes the nakid truth just needs to be said.  I have little doubt that as a lot of novice folks get into bee keeping that the mountain of junk these folks may buy will grow exponentially. 

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2014, 07:04:02 am »
 :goodjob: Great report on the fancy extractor.
If it helps even one person from making a mistake it's worth it. Experience is often the best teacher.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2014, 09:03:03 am »
The colors were from the logo on the side of the tank, the rest of it was galvanized, and it has the galvanized top covers. I have started cleaning and sanding the tub. Laquer thinner cuts the sticky gunk, but quickly turns the rubber gloves into wrinkly softness so I go through quite a lot of them.. not to mention having my head stuck in a tub filled with laquer thinner fumes.. thankfully I have a paint mask with new cartridges.
   I think cleaning the tub will work out fine, but am unsure HOW I am going to get the basket cleaned. a zillion little holes and every one will have to be perfectly cleaned..  I fear missing a few, and having the camcoat flake at those spots..   Slowly figuring it out, one step at a time. Will post pics of it when its refurbished and ready for action.

*Sponsor*

Offline keeperofthebees

« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2014, 09:50:25 am »
The colors were from the logo on the side of the tank, the rest of it was galvanized, and it has the galvanized top covers. I have started cleaning and sanding the tub. Laquer thinner cuts the sticky gunk, but quickly turns the rubber gloves into wrinkly softness so I go through quite a lot of them.. not to mention having my head stuck in a tub filled with laquer thinner fumes.. thankfully I have a paint mask with new cartridges.
   I think cleaning the tub will work out fine, but am unsure HOW I am going to get the basket cleaned. a zillion little holes and every one will have to be perfectly cleaned..  I fear missing a few, and having the camcoat flake at those spots..   Slowly figuring it out, one step at a time. Will post pics of it when its refurbished and ready for action.

Pics would be nice, I wouldn't short change you on an ear full.  Household ammonia...You better have a good respirator or go to the army suprlus store and get one of those cheap old east german, soviet, etc gas masks.  A chemical & fume respirator for painting?...With the little round can filters at menards-home depot-etc.  Ammonia hates beeswax!!!  I use ammonia to keep the plexiglass windows on my display hive de-propolized.  If you got a buddy with one of those drive in paint booths, powder coating booths, etc with a big giant fan to keep the air clean.  I'd take it in there and scrub away with one of those big heavy blue bristled scrub brushes you get at farm and fleet for doing barn sinks.  Wet a rag with housebold ammonia, and whipe it on the outside of the galvanized tank, and make sure it doesn't do weird stuff to the zinc.  You know how barn cleaners will blue out stainless after awhile, and bleach will eat rubber gaskets up, etc.

If you have an open area with a good fan, paint booth, welding booth, barn, shed, etc  Ammonia hates beeswax.  Go friendly on your nose and get the scented(lemon) stuff.  If for no other reason it cleans off the laundry room floor past the front porch where the little bits of wax don't get hoses off your boots, and always work there way into the laundry room, etc.  It never fails to find a little smear of it that gets into the washer as well.  You won't make friends on the home front if you don't clean up your messes.

Say to yourself, ammonia hates beeswax.

Pure grain spirits(everclear) hates propolis.

Go to farm and fleet and buy 2 of these:

http://www.farmandfleet.com/products/037835-allied-precision-bucket-heater.html

I use them in my cappings tank to heat up water to mix sugar syrup.  1 will do the job, but 2 are much quicker.  You can drop a couple of those in the extractor, or tub to heat it up some for a day or so.  The wax and propolis will rise to the top of your tank.  If you don't have a farm and fleet, over in dubuqe there is a farm store called Tysons on the main drag going into town where the mall-chillis-etc is at.  It's been there for years.  Pour hot water by the bucket from your water heater to get the ball rolling(or bath tub faucet in a bucket). 

Like I told ya, pics will do a world of justice.  Alot of old timers scrubbed the old galvanized units out with some good hot water.  A thin coating of beeswax keeps your galvanized steel from rusting, as does the propolis.  If you don't know that the extractor never went through a foul brood issue(contaimnated supers), then I'd be safe and clean it out good like I mentioned.

Hot-water-steam pressure washers??? 

You already got it clean in a half hour of scrubbing, you just don't know it yet!

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2014, 03:15:36 pm »
http://www.worldwidebeekeeping.com/forum/index.php/topic,456.15.html

Reply 15 is where I posted some of the pictures.

*Sponsor*

Offline tecumseh

« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2014, 07:38:51 am »
a snip...

Say to yourself, ammonia hates beeswax.

Pure grain spirits(everclear) hates propolis.

tecumseh...
I didn't know that.... thanks for sharing this information.

that bucket heater thingee is pretty cool also...

Offline Gota-B-Easy

« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2014, 09:15:12 pm »
Scott;
  Let me know if you don't want that extractor.  I have a 454 setin on the floor, although I don't know how well it will work horizontal!

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2014, 09:21:18 pm »
AHA!
A member's first post! Don't think you were gonna get away with that!  ;)
 :welcome: Gota-B-Easy
Forum Supporter

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2014, 09:36:40 pm »
LOL   Welcome Gota-B-Easy!!
   Already got a 454 lined up to make that extractor turn!!!

If that uses too much fuel I have a TPI 383...

;D   ;D

*Sponsor*

Offline tefer2

« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2014, 11:04:58 am »
Scott, you need to cram that motor into a vehicle.
We wanna see video on how much rubber you can burn with the 454cu.
I'll bet fire shoots out of the headers too!  8)

Offline Gota-B-Easy

« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2014, 11:36:43 am »
Cool!!!  I have this old 56 Dodge Royal needs a big yeller moter if you can't geter hooked up to the seperator.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2014, 12:22:55 pm »
56 Royal is a sharp looking car. Would look even sharper with a blower poking out of the hood

*Sponsor*

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
    • http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2014, 04:54:28 pm »
I know this is WAY off topic, but............

If that uses too much fuel I have a TPI 383...

Here's the 383 I used to have (I wish I still had it!)

Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs