Author Topic: Horizontal hive?  (Read 5601 times)

Offline Yankee11

• Gold Member
Horizontal hive?
« on: August 12, 2014, 10:25:09 am »
This guy came to Little Rock last night. He is from Russia and keeps bees in these type hives. I wasn't able to go but have heard things about him.
Has anyone tried this.

What has me interested in this one is the fact you can put 50 standard deep frames in this one hive. It looks to be huge. I am thinking have a couple around just for brood and pulling comb. If this thing was full of bees they could pull a bunch of frames that could be utilized in the Lang hives.

http://www.horizontalhive.com/how-to-build/double-deep-long-hive.shtml

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: Horizontal hive?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 11:04:38 am »
Take a second look at the way that is built. to get to the bottom brood frames the top frames need to be removed then the bottom frames the first few would need to be puled out from the end and then the remainder could be twisted to lift up. It would be a better design if the hive was built with 2 supers so the top super could be removed.Although with the size of it you may have to remove 1/2 the framed before you could lift it. This hive size in frame area is about equal to 4 1/2 Langstroth's. At times of the year when the bees are not occupying the entire hive there is a lot of unprotected space for the invasion of SHB and Wax Moths. Now that you are a committed migratory beekeeper do you want to stick a hive type in the mix that would be a hassle to move?

I wont be adding this style to my collection any time soon. But each to there own.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline Yankee11

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 04:50:23 pm »
No. I wouldn't have one of these to move, for sure. I also wondered how they would protect all that space.

I'm not gonna build one of these,

As far as migratory beekeeper. I had to start stacking a fourth super on this morning. Just trying to get to Sat. so I can extract.  :)

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 06:00:08 pm »
Hey Yankee, do you top super or bottom super when adding to the stack?
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Yankee11

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 10:05:40 am »
i am trying both ways.

What do you do?

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 10:31:05 am »
On intense flows it doesn't seems to mater, and slow flows bottom supering keeps the bees from back filling the top brood super prematurely. If you are putting on foundation that need to be pulled It is best to bottom super it.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline Yankee11

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 03:44:14 pm »
What I have started doing is after the 2nd super. The 3rd super goes to the bottom. I just figured more bees use the lower entrance and it would be closer to them being on the bottom.

I also do the foundation on the bottom. Thinking it's like a big hole on the middle of their hive and they don't like that and would want to fill the space.

Just my thinking anyway.