Author Topic: Good Evening Post  (Read 108662 times)

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
Re: Good Evening Post
« Reply #100 on: September 01, 2014, 10:04:14 pm »
"Getting ready for Wwww....    Wwwiiii.....    WWWWWWWWwwwiiinnnnnnnn.................   Getting ready for when it gets COLD.."

............ :D
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #101 on: September 01, 2014, 10:39:36 pm »
Seems like just a month or two ago RB and Perry were shoveling white s_ _ _  ??? Now their preparing for it again. :o I couldn't live like that.  :'( Jack

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #102 on: September 01, 2014, 11:17:06 pm »
Me neither Jack, I am spoiled by the four seasons. I don't mind Wwww.... Wwwiii... WWWWWWWwwwinnnn..... but my bones like the warm better these days. And this year there was so much smoke, I don't feel sated with the sun yet ~

There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #103 on: September 01, 2014, 11:18:55 pm »
i was waiting for you to pipe in here jack.....i can't shovel any white stuff up here until i get my favorite 'white' pusher fixed, which i  somehow  ran over last year and broke the handle off the thing.  i can't buy a new one just like it......they are cheap things nowadays!.............
it just needs some nuts and bolts through the handle to the blade. oh and drill a couple new holes.... ;D
it's on my get ready for winter list, but mister keeps wanting to throw it in the trash........ :D

oh and ps, forgot, won't be jury rigging a ramp to get up to the deck with the snowblower anymore.......the deck is bran new...... :D
Forum Sponsor

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #104 on: September 04, 2014, 10:19:05 pm »
good evenin everyone~

why is it every time i start to mow the lawn, it rains?  booming thunder and lightening today about 2:00 pm.  i kept mowing, i figured when it starts pouring then i will quit.....had to rethink this because of some lightening strikes.....what am i doing out here attached to a metal object in an open field...... :D

BEES!!!!....... :D......got a frantic call from someone who i am not sure how she got my number, but guess had posted on craigslist, so maybe one of my friends volunteered my services as a yellow jacket inspector/identifier.......... :D
anyway she has 'BEES' behind their concrete porch.... "we have a bee problem".....she said....... "quite active and building for weeks" and was "leaning towards an exterminator", but felt calling a beekeeper  would be a better option "considering the bee population is decreasing".  and told me about her small children and a dog who can't play in front of the house due to the bees.  "PLEASE HELP"

got to give her credit for thinking of honey bees.  when i asked her a few questions she just said she was too terrified to go out and take a picture and couldn't describe the BEE. wasn't sure where they were going in, either the siding or the porch, and said behind a crack behind the concrete porch.  i just told her i would come and take a look, she's not too far from me, but most likely yellow jackets, and no need to spend the money for an exterminator.  so off i go tomorrow to look at yellow jackets...... :D

Forum Sponsor

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #105 on: September 04, 2014, 10:21:21 pm »
Waiting for the continued saga Riv  :)

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #106 on: September 04, 2014, 10:32:52 pm »
well, she's a single mom with kids and a dog, my heart went out to her, she's not too far from me.  will take a peek and take some cans of raid with me to give to her and tell her/show her how to get rid of the yellow jackets at dusk.

ps, i did get the lawn mowed............ :D
Forum Sponsor

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #107 on: September 04, 2014, 10:58:32 pm »
Today I have been in the Fall cleaning mood. Didn't get any done this spring due to excessive swarming and all that went with it. So I've got cob webs, and I need to get back to painting my hallway. Also, working on a label for some small jars of honey to go into my friends shop for the holiday, I think I can squeek out maybe a dozen small jars. See I plan on consuming all the members' honey on this forum that are willing to send me some for a fair price plus shipping. Then, I can sell my local honey here.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #108 on: September 04, 2014, 11:34:07 pm »
"See I plan on consuming all the members' honey on this forum that are willing to send me some for a fair price plus shipping. Then, I can sell my local honey here."

............. :D :D :laugh:
Forum Sponsor

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #109 on: September 04, 2014, 11:41:11 pm »
 ;)  kidding  ;)

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #110 on: September 05, 2014, 08:34:25 pm »
good evening.......

i posted earlier about a phone call received last evening looking for a beekeeper to come and get some bees..... took a look today......

yellow jackets.  sprayed the beejeebers out of them buggers and then some...... ;D  saved her some money for an exterminator and told her to spray again for good measure at dusk, and again in the next couple days, am and pm.  it was cooler here today, not much above 65 degrees, and a chilly 65.

on another note, i stopped by my vets office this afternoon, haven't been there since may (had to put down a longtime wonderful companion) .....been a client for 20 years and know the staff and docs well.  just wanted to say hi and no paws yet in the house.  they know me so well, we caught up and asked about my bees, my allergy, shots, life in general etc.....but also asked me if i would sell them honey to treat animals with. 2 of the 4 vet docs, (and mine) are using honey to treat certain wounds with success.  i will bring them honey next week, no charge.  it's just my way.  i am a softie when it comes to animals. 

Forum Sponsor

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
    • http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/
« Reply #111 on: September 06, 2014, 01:35:32 pm »
Just a note to say I've started a project at work and am working 12-16 hour days 6 to 7 days/week.  Will pop in occasionally to say hello.

Hello!   ;D
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #112 on: September 06, 2014, 10:17:23 pm »
Wow!   Hope thats overtime pay for you Slow!!

Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #113 on: September 11, 2014, 08:28:03 pm »
good evening~.......
very long day, very long week.....a week or so behind on taking honey off, but taking supers off, extracting and clean up.......all done, i sure dislike the clean up but now the reward and i can sit back.......sit down, enjoy the forum and a cold drink in our cold weather.....been cold here the last 2 days, 35 the last two mornin's and nothing above 5o degrees daytime, maybe 55 today.  sorta was sidetracked yesterday on clean up before the cold hit, so resumed today. frost warnings this evening, our gardens have been pretty much harvested, some tomatoes left, but oh well.....
the bees, i will check them on saturday, preparations now for winter months...........
this year, harvested some buckwheat honey! 

who says beekeeping is a hobby, cuz it ain't........... :D

Forum Sponsor

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #114 on: September 17, 2014, 09:01:38 pm »
good evenin~

what a beautiful day today after two weeks of very cold weather- 30's at night and nothing above 55 during the day......today finally hit 70 and a little above, and nice warm weather in the 70's and above for the next 4 days......yipppeee! i am happy!  get to wear flip flops and shorts for a few more days!
goldenrod and aster blooms about done, but goldenrod has been a great bloom this year!
Forum Sponsor

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #115 on: September 18, 2014, 10:59:54 am »
3in. of rain yesterday 8) 70's today, going to some outyards today were they had over 4in. of rain to see if any damage was done and check stores. The goldenrod is in full bloom and with the heavy rain yesterday the aster should be in full bloom in a few days. My wife is bottling honey for the Fair Grove Festival and this coming Wed. is the last day of the Farmers Market, hope we have enough honey for both ???. Been a good honey year, but a little short of last years harvest, i left a few honey supers on in one of these outyards to get them capped better, i'm taking my 4 wheeler in case there ready to go because of all the rain and they are in a creek bottom. Should make for a day :-\ Jack

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #116 on: September 18, 2014, 11:27:33 am »
We actually had some rain yesterday evening, it was enough to change the color of the dirt. Us here in Cali consider that a FLOOD!

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #117 on: September 19, 2014, 09:33:45 am »
The girls had capped and filled most of the top deep, they all had two shallow supers on them along with two deeps for brood. I took the top super off of 8 of them, now today is extracting day and my weekly card game (5 point pitch) with my brothers. Life is good. ;D Jack

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #118 on: September 19, 2014, 11:51:00 pm »
life is good isn't it? well except for the c**d months ahead.....watched the bees on the last of the golden rod and asters the past few days, been warm after a pretty good cold snap, they were couped up a little, not much flying until the past few days.  the trees started turning fall colors.....i like fall months, i just don't like what's coming.......
Forum Sponsor

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #119 on: September 19, 2014, 11:53:03 pm »
Fall is my favorite for sure, and for so many others. Wish it wasn't the shortest season