Author Topic: Good Evening Post  (Read 108588 times)

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
Re: Good Evening Post
« Reply #120 on: October 03, 2014, 08:45:49 pm »
good evenin~

cold here about 35d f, wind whipping bone chilling cold, and raining for the past 3 days. i dislike it.  and fyi jack, forecast is for some flurries later this evening......you know, of the s**w type ...... :D
been cold here since monday. not much above 50 during the day, and 30's at night.  i do enjoy the misty fog off the river at dusk, the peacefulness and quiet.  fishing season on our river was over last weekend, thank you.....it was 80 and 85 degrees then, a beautiful weekend.  now the bees are really hunkering down for the upcoming months. my hive is pretty hefty, healthy and strong, will shove some extra winter feed in there when there is a warmer day in october.  insulation on top will go on soon, and will wrap them sometime in november.

i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #121 on: October 03, 2014, 10:20:33 pm »
Nice mental meanderings there Riv  :)  Now that all my hives have cleats, I'm not sure how to wrap my hives. Think I'll start a thread on that.

Enjoy hearing about the fog on your river at dusk...   :)
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #122 on: October 17, 2014, 06:58:45 pm »
good evenin!

fall is back, we have enjoyed some warm temps for the past week, yesterday 70's...........today, not much above 50, and the wind was blowing the leaves out of the trees and my patio umbrella took flight and landed out in the middle of the front yard.  also, i went to get the lawnmower out of the garage to mulch leaves, and my hockey stick to shoot walnuts out of the back forty and WHAT DO I SEE? .................SOMEONE has drug out the buried SNOW SHOVELS and stacked them neatly next to the inside of the garage door............. :D 
Forum Sponsor

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #123 on: October 17, 2014, 07:25:06 pm »
Snow shovels  :sad:  nice visual of upcoming events to look forward to... or not

I started vacuuming today and before I knew it I vacuumed myself out onto the front porch aiming at the empty spider webs in the  eves, and then attacked the screen on the wooden screen door that has the perfect screech and thump when it closes. I also got an enchilada dinner prepared... AND I did the combine on the two dink hives. Been a busy girl today, the fall weather is perfect and I feel I need to bake a cherry pie Billy Boy Billy Boy :D but it will actually be apple  ;)

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #124 on: October 17, 2014, 08:07:37 pm »
Dressed out my 5th deer last night. Replaced the fuel injector pump on my diesel tractor today. That's enough for a week for this old man.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #125 on: October 29, 2014, 11:50:13 pm »
a very late good evenin to all~

just watched the last game of the world series........darn, really wanted the royals to win.......so now i guess i can pay more attention to the forum in the evenings......and i can listen to hockey at the same time........... :D

Forum Sponsor

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #126 on: October 29, 2014, 11:56:39 pm »
I once thought SPRING was the busy time...   I have brought in two stumps filled with bees, done one emergency cut out and I have been hauling corn from field to bin 12 hours a day..  Then there was working on a 1086 a fellow tried to drive across a wash out and ripped the front end out from under it.. parts will be here tomorrow, and still hauling so its going to be another LONG day..   As sad as it sounds, I am starting to look forward to the white stuff, just so I can wake up in the morning JUMP out of bed... stand there while the realization sets in that I have NOTHING to do, then climb back in bed......
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #127 on: October 30, 2014, 12:51:18 am »
Well........ I have to admit that I miss summer, because well we didn't really get a summer it was so smokey here. But alas, I do look forward to the months after the holidays when I can JUMP into bed in the afternoon with a cup of tea and read, dog next to me, crock pot full of venison stew. Yes, I do like those cold moody days  :)

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #128 on: October 31, 2014, 07:09:57 pm »
good evening~

someone turned the outside air conditioner on up here........ :D about 20 degrees this morning, and not much above 38 degrees today. at least the wind wasn't whippin' like it was yesterday.....

btw HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!
the last of october, daylight savings this weekend.......don't like it, rather have more daylight at the end of the day and not the beginning of the day.... ;D

mu hah hah!!!!! doorbell's ringing........... :D

Forum Sponsor

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #129 on: November 02, 2014, 08:15:37 pm »
good evening~
it was a very nice day here today and saw some of my bees flying, they like to check out the red taillights on the prince's truck that i don't like to drive,..... :D and my jeep......but the whole thing is red.  there is nothing in bloom here and hasn't been for well over a month, but they fly, for any little bit that they might find and maybe some water.  i took an early morning walk along the river this morning. i so enjoy this and don't do it as much as i used to. it was a crisp, cool fall morning with frost on the ground, mist rising from the river and crunching of fallen leaves beneath my boots. as i walked past my 'bee crib' to go along the river, i saw that the 'door' to my bee crib was standing wide open, bear fencing wires in place.  i stood and stared at the wide open door.....i checked the fencer on the backside of the 'crib'........the fencer had been turned off.   ?
maybe the bears have figured out how to reach over the wires, unlock this door and turn off my fencer......? wait, the bears need to turn the fencer off BEFORE opening the door...... :D
hmmm, here is an older pic of the door; i house my bees in an old long rectangular corn crib.  this is good bear and critter protection.  when we bought the place we tore out the corn chute and replaced it with the 'door' you see in this older pic.  i made the door myself, i am pretty proud of the work.....
i have a small lock on the door, it opens inwards.  it broke a few months ago, can't lock it with the key, but can still turn the lock up and down.  the wind can not blow this door open.  so someone paid a visit.  the local juveniles blast windows out of our outbuildings and mash our mailbox (well not what i recently put up).... but they have never blown holes in my hives.  not sure what to think.  the investigator i am... ;D saw truck tires in the dirt nearby.

after my investigation (my bees were fine)......... :D, i closed the door, and turned the fencer back on.  went for my walk.

i came across an adult bald eagle lying on the bank above the river.  we have and enjoy a bald eagle population here on the river.  i could see the body of this big raptor from a distance. at first thought maybe it was a goose, or turkey vulture, as i moved closer, i saw the distinctive feathers and the white feathers on the head.  i can only guess that the eagle was sick or diseased, nothing here takes these beautiful birds.  i wanted to take a tail feather, or a wing feather, but i didn't, i just couldn't.

on my walk i was rewarded with trout rising on the river to gulp emerging insects; 3 agates, one a large lake superior agate, unusual and prized, and an artifact.  small treasures.   the walk did me good.  then work the rest of the day.....
brushcutting......
brushcutting......
brushcutting......

and wondering who in tarnation is messing with me on my bees.............. :D
Forum Sponsor

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #130 on: November 07, 2014, 05:59:09 pm »
good evening~

a fine day it was, a little brisk and chilly, 40's, full moon really bright and purty last night.  bees hunkered in i think from here on out. a little rain, but none of that favorite white stuff yet, that jack likes........... :D

i have spent two afternoons working on mulching and clearing the leaves.....AGAIN......tomorrow i am buying a high powered leaf blower for my city res to blow two of my neighbors leaves (the hillbillies on one side and peyton place on the other side) BACK TO THEIR YARDs...... ;D......... :D
Forum Sponsor

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #131 on: November 07, 2014, 06:55:53 pm »
And what a beautiful full moon, just huge.. I love the harvest moon. I'm feeling bakey these days, Autumn definately brings out the foody in me. I can tell cause I'm a notch looser in my jeans belt, and it's only been about 3 weeks. It's the pie crust, gets me every time  :) ;)

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #132 on: November 09, 2014, 07:12:09 pm »
good evening~

great day today, even though it was only in the upper 30's. no wind and a pleasant day to be working outside.  got up very early this morning to get some final 'winterizing' things done today, and managed to start out the day brushing my teeth with hair gel.....seriously too funny spitting that out........ :D

the weather folks say we are to brace for a 10" snow storm starting 3:oo am monday morning and continuing through the day tomorrow....

yep jack i said SNOW..... :D

Forum Sponsor

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #133 on: November 09, 2014, 10:26:46 pm »
Riv- Can't believe you guys are getting snow already, Wow, is that normal for where you live?

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #134 on: November 10, 2014, 12:41:50 am »
yes jen, we can get snow as early as october. one october, some years back, it snowed for 2 or 3 days straight, thought i was in the mountains of montana....... :D no one went anywhere! 
we have had a pretty mild fall, my bees were flying last weekend, then we got colder during this past week.  it was actually very pleasant today even in the upper 30's with no wind and sunshine. we have been spoiled to a certain degree this year with mild temps and lack of snow fall and a little rain.

not looking forward to 10" of snow, and the cold that comes after.....

Forum Sponsor

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #135 on: November 10, 2014, 01:05:58 am »
We're still up to 60 during the day, bees are still out everyday, and down to 40 and 30 at night. Still some leaves on the trees, time to start raking  :)

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #136 on: November 11, 2014, 06:33:39 pm »
good evening ~

so we didn't get the predicted snow fall, but we did get a few inches of it, and a layer or two of freezing rain with it......and flurries today. it was cold.  snow shovels at the ready, driveway and deck cleaned off, chemical down to get the ice layer off so i don't fall on my bum and break something.

later this afternoon, dug out the snowshoes, and took a walk along the river. wish i had brought my camera, it was purty. 
it's gonna be a long winter.....
Forum Sponsor

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #137 on: November 12, 2014, 08:32:21 pm »
we are into temps with this 'polar vortex' that we would normally get in january!

today's temps did not get above 20F.......normal temps for this time of year are usually about 40 degrees f, the last few days temps are what we would expect in january for average highs, or  usually about or below zero, or well below zero in january. it's going to be a very long winter.....!
Forum Sponsor

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #138 on: November 12, 2014, 08:49:12 pm »
Those are the temps that bring out the foody in me, hybernation and comfort foods. Also take my belt out a couple inches  ;) :)

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #139 on: November 12, 2014, 08:53:50 pm »
Is it coincidence that this also happened last year, and we had the coldest and longest winter in 40 years?
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*