Author Topic: How did you choose your screen name?  (Read 97475 times)

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
Re: How did you choose your screen name?
« Reply #120 on: July 05, 2018, 01:05:51 am »
hachi, that's pretty cool!

thank you, i googled it after your post........so google (lol) tells me 'hachi' is japanese for bee!............love it!

also love the Japanese writing for the word 'bee'.....

HACHI: Japanese word for bee
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #121 on: July 05, 2018, 07:58:04 am »
And the Japanese word for honey is Hatchimitsu.  Thank you, Hachi, for enlightening us. My son lives in Japan and is engaged to a wonderful Japanese girl.  You would think I would start learning the language.  The truth is, my future daughter in law speaks English so well it hasn't occurred to this lazy American to pick up a few words.  :-[

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #122 on: July 08, 2018, 12:03:48 am »
In Canada French is the official second language. But for us in the west, being able to speak Japanese or Chinese would be of more use.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline eltalia

« Reply #123 on: January 12, 2019, 05:21:15 pm »
When the internet was just getting started, my son wanted to sign me up. He said, "you need an
 ID other than your own name for a screen name".
So I said, use ID. It was taken. Idee was taken. Iddee was free. I have used it ever since.

A fan of 'cryptic' myself _and_ a long time advocate for Italian strains my choice went to
The Italian, word wrangling that to El Italia - hence "eltalia" to suit ansty computer signin
'rooles'.
Not a drop of Italian blood in me veins, being first generation Australian of Irish and
Indigenous Aussie stock I hold strongly the ethos - bees come first in apiary management.
Other stuff I am far from anal about - live and let live, I reckon... it is your choice of
dance music. Heh  8)

Cheers.

Bill

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #124 on: January 13, 2019, 10:27:07 am »
etalia, are Italian bees the breed of choice in Australia?  What other breeds do beekeepers use?  I am curious.

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #125 on: January 13, 2019, 11:40:26 am »
My son picked that screen name when he set up our computer, he said i have had Bees and farmed ever since he could remember so it became brooksbeefarm. I was looking at some old pictures awhile back and seen this of old Mike our Coonhound, it was on my desk when our computer repairman was fixing it and he said that was a neat picture and brought back old memory's to him also, so i had him put it as my Avatar.

Offline eltalia

« Reply #126 on: January 14, 2019, 04:40:05 pm »
G'day BD..
Of the true Italian there are very likely few to none breeder lines remaining today as everyone
has played with genes for decades now and import is expensive to impossible.
I'll try and attach a map from a study done a few years ago, whilst not complete it does give
some idea of the spread of genetic material.
Thanks for asking, m8. ;-)

Cheers.

Bill

Offline tecumseh

« Reply #127 on: January 18, 2019, 05:25:35 am »
Well since this just came up in discussion here with my part time boss (Dr Juliana Rangel) eltelia is the map based on mitochondria or nuclear DNA analysis?  Does the map when it refers to Africa (I do not really see any pink on the map?) refer to any species from Africa or a specific linage of African honeybee? Where about are you located on the map?

Offline eltalia

« Reply #128 on: January 26, 2019, 04:28:57 pm »
Well since this just came up in discussion here with my part time boss (Dr Juliana Rangel) eltelia is the map based on mitochondria or nuclear DNA analysis?  Does the map when it refers to Africa (I do not really see any pink on the map?) refer to any species from Africa or a specific linage of African honeybee? Where about are you located on the map?

G'day.
Mitochondria I'd reckon. If it's important I couod go ferret through the study to be certain.
I've marked the image and remounted it, my location is the green zone, same as my avatar shows
as seen from above the Equator.
The Africans were bought here from the USA around the early 1930s is my best recall from reading
hard copy yet those bees in those zones marked are no more agro or productive than our Bush bee
which is heavily loaded towards the European Western bee. The Bush bees attitude varies with season
and numbers with early summer being the best time to go after wild colonies. Mind you never in hundreds
rescued has more than a wide hat and glasses been donned as with chainsaw, ladder and boots it is just
too hot (sweat) not to have a clear go. Be rare to find bees with sufficient attitude to chase you off the job.
Different story for the Caucasions I've run in boxes, you need to pick your time to work those without a
veil at least.
We have long run a subset of the Italian flavour known as Red Kelpie, a bee you can work in your swimmers
outside of foul weather.

Cheers.

Bill

Offline tecumseh

« Reply #129 on: January 27, 2019, 06:11:15 am »
Thanks for the response...  so I am guessing based upon your description that the African bees were from Northern Africa and not scutella from Southern Africa.

Offline eltalia

« Reply #130 on: January 27, 2019, 08:12:02 am »
Thanks for the response...  so I am guessing based upon your description that the African bees were from Northern Africa and not scutella from Southern Africa.
No idea - well above my pay scale as "apiarist"
I went and ferreted the paper out and attach the header, you might be able
to use that info to locate the whole study.
Reading excerpts tells Scutella were never imported here from Africa.

Cheers.

Bill

Offline tecumseh

« Reply #131 on: January 27, 2019, 05:55:14 pm »
thanks for the link... the abstract says they are from Northern Africa.. on occasion (according to DNA research) some of the same lines of bees show up here in the Southwestern US.

you folks down under do some marvelous research work on honeybees... < hats off to you folks on that I have read and reread Fat Bee, Skinny Bee several times...

Offline eltalia

« Reply #132 on: January 27, 2019, 07:00:24 pm »
thanks for the link... the abstract says they are from Northern Africa.. on occasion (according to DNA research) some of the same lines of bees show up here in the Southwestern US.

you folks down under do some marvelous research work on honeybees... < hats off to you folks on that I have read and reread Fat Bee, Skinny Bee several times...

I collect the modern output for reads on a rainy day, beyond that I focus on bees doings
for the bigger picture. I got into it for the fascination, did the money making stint (pollination)
to go full circle into fascination again on retirement. Acedemic work is very important buuut
has to be boring as all getout for those doing it, unless it  pays well. ;-))))

Yes, it is true Aussie _has_ done much to advance knowledge in the science however
that has slowed considerably these past six years with a succession of Treasurers hellbent
on reducing science funding. The CSIRO, various DPI institutions and BioSecurity (formerly AQUIS)
have all had serious funding reductions with consequential demise of long running projects.
Sooo thanks for the acknowledgement buut don't judge us too harsjly in the future in not keeping up.

Cheers.

Bill

Offline tecumseh

« Reply #133 on: January 28, 2019, 07:26:13 am »
The money come and goes and seems to flow toward whatever highland captures the news.  We have the same trend here but I suspect the pendulum will swing back in the other direction fairly quickly.

Thanks for the info and link Bill...

Offline eltalia

« Reply #134 on: January 28, 2019, 05:25:23 pm »
No worries...m8.

Offline Honey Hive Farms

• Saving the world one bee at a time!
    • Honey Hive Farms
« Reply #135 on: July 23, 2021, 11:19:22 pm »
Honey Hive Farms is our business name and has been for 13 years. Good or bad that is somehow what we came up with. 
It has worked out well for us but is a little wordy.
Take care
Saving the world one bee at a time!

Honey Hive Farms

www.HoneyHiveFarms.com

Offline Jim 134

« Reply #136 on: October 30, 2023, 11:16:34 am »
  How I chose my Screen name. This was a house I used to live at Number 134 My first name is Jim.
Yes I'd like bees a lot.. It brings me to a serenity. When I am working bees place.. Now put a smiley face... At the time I was working in  Worchester Massachusetts.. A commercial artist. Who lived in Worchester.. Was the first person ever to use a smiley face.. His name was Harry Ball.  And a :) was never. Had a trademark.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/12/the-man-behind-the-smiley-face-symbol-was-paid-45-for-his-design.html

BEE HAPPY  Jim134   :)

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #137 on: October 30, 2023, 11:55:31 am »
  How I chose my Screen name. This was a house I used to live at Number 134 My first name is Jim.
Yes I'd like bees a lot.. It brings me to a serenity. When I am working bees place.. Now put a smiley face... At the time I was working in  Worchester Massachusetts.. A commercial artist. Who lived in Worchester.. Was the first person ever to use a smiley face.. His name was Harry Ball.  And a :) was never. Had a trademark.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/12/the-man-behind-the-smiley-face-symbol-was-paid-45-for-his-design.html

Welcome to WWB forum.  I hope we hear from you often.
The following users thanked this post: Jim 134

Offline Jim 134

« Reply #138 on: October 31, 2023, 09:48:45 am »
  Thank you for the greeting.