Author Topic: The prodigal hen.  (Read 3734 times)

Offline Beeboy

The prodigal hen.
« on: May 01, 2014, 02:11:08 pm »
I had my 4 chickens in a very small pen while they were small. They are big now, & laying quite well, so I decided to build them a bigger/permanent pen.

Well the girls don't like it at all! I have to catch them every night & put them back in it. They go to the old place & hang out until dark then end up either huddled together on the ground, or in a close tree.

I have one hen that refuses to be caught! You can be a 100' away and if you even act like your going to walk in her direction she heads for the woods in a hurry! I don't know where she is laying as I haven't been able to find her nest, but she won't be laying much longer because something is going to have her for dinner if I don't get her caught. It's been a couple of weeks now, & it's the same thing every night.

Any ideas for getting them to go to their new home?

Any ideas for luring the prodigal hen back home? I know she is out living the party life right now, & I don't want to see her hurt! She could be shacking up with a crow for all I know!

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
Re: The prodigal hen.
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 02:49:25 pm »
Put them in the new pen and close it up for two or three weeks. feed and water them in there, they will start calling it home.
   If you cant catch the one, open the door/gate to the old pen and let them roost for the night where they used to, then close the door. You can move them one at a time.    I have an old hoe handle with a coat hanger stapled on the bottom of it with a hook that V's open. the bottom of the hook is JUST big enough for a chicken leg, but won't let a chicken foot get through it..   extend hoe handle, hook chicken leg, reel in chicken...  while wife giggles...    :-[
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Beeboy

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 04:25:14 pm »
I recently bought my wife a new vehicle, so now we have her old car that sits outside. Today my brother came over to borrow my trailer and I had to move the car to get to the trailer. When I moved it my brother walked to where the car was parked and said, do you always keep eggs underneath your car? Sure enough she had been laying underneath that old car. What a crazy old hen!

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 08:59:02 pm »
They sure can find some good hidey holes, right in plain sight.
Bees are bees and do as they please!

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline Beeboy

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 08:24:32 pm »
Looks like they are all going to the new house now. I'm thankful!

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk