Author Topic: How Much Humidity is Too Much for Sugar Roll Mite Checks?  (Read 2738 times)

Alklar20

How Much Humidity is Too Much for Sugar Roll Mite Checks?
« on: July 10, 2021, 09:39:16 am »
Hello. I was considering using the sugar roll method for doing mite checks on my beehives, but I read online that high humidity could skew the results of the sugar roll method. I live in Washington, which has a very moist climate, so I'm thinking about possibly doing the alcohol wash instead. But before I do that, I wanted to get someone's opinion on how much humidity is too much for the sugar roll method.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: How Much Humidity is Too Much for Sugar Roll Mite Checks?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2021, 04:39:28 pm »
I have never heard of humidity being a factor when doing a sugar roll mite check.  I suppose it is possible.  I know that if I am checking a number of hives, one right after the other, the residual sugar can start to clump a little and stick to the sides of my jar.  I always attributed that to the heat of the bees and respiration.  Switching out a fresh jar would solve that problem.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: How Much Humidity is Too Much for Sugar Roll Mite Checks?
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2021, 07:45:03 am »
Alklar20 I did find this article that refers to mite testing, sugar roll tests, and high humidity.  https://backyardbeekeeping.iamcountryside.com/health-pests/catch-and-release-powdered-sugar-roll-varroa-mite-test/
I heard a recommendation this spring from a well respected speaker.  Instead of testing nurse bees on a brood frame, test the bees on the frame next to the brood.  You will get an accurate count and won't be disturbing any eggs and young larvae.
The following users thanked this post: The15thMember