Author Topic: woodenware Protection  (Read 1679 times)

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
woodenware Protection
« on: May 08, 2021, 09:31:51 pm »
As I suggested this be a topic here rather than be lost to the chat... here is a quick transcript of a conversation on the topic... please feel free to chime in with what all y'all do or comment on something already said.

Jen :  I buy the unpainted boxes, hubby builds the lids the way I like them, then I take them up to a place where they are wax dipped.
        All of my wooden ware is wax dipped now.
iddee :  Wax is good, but I like eco wood better. https://beezneedz.com/product/eco-wood-treatment/
Gypsi:   I'm too lazy for any fancy wood treatments. I'll just repaint
Jen :     Hi Gypsy, there is a place about an hour from where i live that has a big vat of melted very hot beeswax and parafin. All my woodenware is dipped one time and that lasts a lifetime. I'm not at all good with keeping up the paint.
iddee : Check out the link above. Eco-wood can be dipped or painted on, and lasts for many years.
LazyBkpr : Hmmmmm........ 5 gal of mix, wouldnt be enough to actually DIP... To DIP i would need at least ten gallons, and then.... is the rest wasted, how long does it last? can I cover it and RE DIP stuff all summer or.....
        Maybe PAINT it on thickly instead of dipping???
        Is it watery or thick? IDEEEEEEEE WE NEED ANSWERS!!!!!
iddee :     2 gallon will be deep enough to dip one side or end. Then rotate the box. Thin, like water. Paint it on thinly. It don't take a lot. It soaks, not covers.  https://ecowoodtreatment.com/
Jen :   I like the ecowood idea. Actually I was mistaken. What my woodenware is dipped in is beeswax and wood pitch.
   The hot solution actually bakes into into the wood grain. It looks natural too.
Zweefer :   this whole conversation should be a post.
iddee :   Still waiting for you to copy/paste and start a post. You are admin........

Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline The15thMember

• Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: woodenware Protection
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2021, 11:33:37 pm »
Zweefer :   this whole conversation should be a post.
iddee :   Still waiting for you to copy/paste and start a post. You are admin........
:laugh:  I so badly wanted that part to be included!!
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2021, 11:43:36 pm »
I'm not leaving that out!
I just found it funny that the man himself always said beekeeping chat should be general at best, the rest should go on the forum, as there is information that could then be searched, or commented on with out disappearing once the chat got far enough.
Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2021, 04:50:09 am »
The man himself is getting old and senile. That's why he handed it over to you  :P :laugh:
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2021, 09:21:44 pm »
The man himself may be getting old, but senility isnt hitting him too hard yet from what I can see, and from what I remember from my visit, he is one hades of a good guy I am proud to have met in person.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*