Author Topic: Slightly Slimed Honey  (Read 2379 times)

Offline The15thMember

• Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Slightly Slimed Honey
« on: September 02, 2023, 06:08:14 pm »
I had a super of honey in the garage that I forgot about.  I should have put it in the freezer right away, but I didn't have the room, and things got shuffled around, and it got lost in said shuffle.  I discovered the bin yesterday and unfortunately the hive beetle larvae started to get to it.  Ugh, I feel so terrible about it, it's just such a waste of good honey.  :cry:  Two of the frames weren't fully capped and the honey fermented out and created a mess.  I put the frames in the freezer now, better late than never, I suppose.  The capped frames have some sections that have been beetle-slimed, but some of the honey still looks okay.  Is there anything I can do with honey like this?  I just can't stand the idea of having to throw out an entire super of honey, especially when some of it is still good.
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: Slightly Slimed Honey
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2023, 12:16:18 pm »
I hope you get some response to this question.  I would like to hear suggestions that are better than what I am thinking.

Offline The15thMember

• Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2023, 11:17:45 am »
So after hearing some advice from some people who have done this, I decided to just set the frames out, one or two at a time so I don't cause a massive frenzy, and let the bees clean them.  I was thinking about how it's not like the bees would never encounter something like this in nature.  Hives that are taken over by beetles would be robbed out by other colonies, so I'm going to trust that they know what they are doing.
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2023, 11:31:17 am »
So after hearing some advice from some people who have done this, I decided to just set the frames out, one or two at a time so I don't cause a massive frenzy, and let the bees clean them.  I was thinking about how it's not like the bees would never encounter something like this in nature.  Hives that are taken over by beetles would be robbed out by other colonies, so I'm going to trust that they know what they are doing.

Well, that's exactly what I was thinking.  I would consider putting those frames as far away from the hives as you can with a structure or trees in between. That might reduce the risk of a robbing frenzy happening to one of your hives.  Around these parts, at this time of year, robbing can get started so easily. 
The following users thanked this post: The15thMember

Offline .30WCF

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2023, 01:52:31 am »
I was gonna say just put them back on the hives after a bath in the freezer, but
I’m a day late…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk