Author Topic: Shallow Foundation & Drawing comb  (Read 2653 times)

Offline 40 Acre Bees

Shallow Foundation & Drawing comb
« on: January 15, 2017, 10:32:34 am »
For the past few years we have tried to go foundation-less (crush & strain) and it worked relatively well, but now we are up to five hives (never wanted more than two)  and are looking at extracting.  Since we have a number of shallow boxes and frames, I would like to reuse these, but am having difficulty locating plastic shallow foundation.  Does anyone know of a supplier especially those beeks in Canada.

Second question -  When we begin our spring feeding would it be OK to add a box of foundation at the same time so the girls can get an early start of drawing out the comb?

As always looking forward to your thoughts and opinions, Thanks in advance 40 Acre Bees  :yes:

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Re: Shallow Foundation & Drawing comb
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 10:37:05 am »
I don't know of anyone who manufactures shallow plastic foundation. Hate to say it but you may end up buying mediums and cutting off an inch.
You could feed briefly, just to get them started build comb but then I would stop before they start storing any of it.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline 40 Acre Bees

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 04:11:35 pm »
OK two more questions, what is the best way to cut plastic foundation, and I am sure I can get shallow wax foundation, is there any way it can be inserted into an already assembled frame, or do I need to use new un-assembled frames.  I am just trying to keep my costs down and reuse what I have here.  Thanks

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 04:39:17 pm »
Quickest way to cut it would be with a table saw.
If you are going to try and insert plastic into your shallow frames, you may have to take the wedge back off, insert your plastic and then re-nail the wedge. The groove at the top of your shallow frames will probably not be wide enough to accommodate the plastic. No big deal really.
You don't need to buy new frames.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline sc-bee

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 04:49:44 pm »

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Forum Supporter