Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Beekeeping / Re: Can I lock them in?
« Last post by neillsayers on Today at 12:28:58 am »
Sounds like a reasonable plan to me. I have done the same when I moved my bees from one yard to the other but I didn't give water and they were locked in for around 12-15 hours. A wet towel would suffice I think.
General Beekeeping / Can I lock them in?
« Last post by Les on Yesterday at 11:00:48 pm »
We are having party in our backyard with over 30 people.  Since the bees have been little brats this summer
my concern is having that many people around them.  I do not want to be responsible for anyone getting
stung.  The bees have quieted down put every now and them one or two will come after us and we are not anywhere near the hives.  I thought that the evening before the party once they are situated back in the hives, we would close them in with mesh. I thought about putting a feeder with water  in the hive.  They will be locked in for about 24 hours.  Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
Beekeeping 101 / Re: 52 Hives from 13 hives in two years?
« Last post by CBT on Yesterday at 09:53:29 pm »
That varroa mite can be easily kept in check with a plan to wash or roll them on a regular schedule. There are treatments when needed that won’t slow down production and probiotics to keep them healthy.
« Last post by tedh on Yesterday at 08:01:38 pm »
We need to check a few hives so I'll talk to Josh tomorrow.  Thanks!
« Last post by Some Day on Yesterday at 06:45:37 pm »
Ted,

Ellen Bell just posted on FaceBook a couple of minutes ago saying she still has queens available.
« Last post by tedh on Yesterday at 06:18:46 pm »
Thanks for the heads up!
« Last post by Some Day on Yesterday at 05:09:50 pm »
Ted,

Ellen Bell from Bell Farms near Runnells, Iowa may have some queens.  It is late in the year though.  She raises her queens locally.  I would consider them survivor mutts.  Andy Joseph told me about her this spring.  She went into winter of 2017 with 44 hives and had 42 survive to spring of 2018.  I think she is doing something right for our Iowa climate.
« Last post by Some Day on Yesterday at 04:11:56 pm »
The 500 pound gorilla no one mentions:

« Last post by tedh on Yesterday at 02:21:17 pm »
Itallian queens.  Okay.  I give up.  Which 500 pound gorilla?
« Last post by Some Day on Yesterday at 01:48:47 pm »
B13,  How do you determine if a hive is weak?  Is there a number of frames of brood or frames of bees that you use to say a hive is weak?  For example, 2 frames is weak, 4 frames is fair, 8 frames is booming?

Do you take a weak hive of 2 frames of bees/brood and newspaper combine with a strong 8 frame hive?  What do you do with the extra queen?  Does she meet the hive tool guillotine or do you just let the bees sort them out?

I have one more question on this combining of hives, but I am waiting for some one to address that pesky 500 pound gorilla I mentioned in an earlier post.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10