Author Topic: No need for swarm traps when you have Swarm Bandit. .  (Read 12161 times)

Offline Yankee11

• Gold Member
No need for swarm traps when you have Swarm Bandit. .
« on: March 08, 2015, 12:19:08 pm »
 I found some swarm cells yesterday and could not find the queen but I know she still in theer, Q cells were not capped yet and saw a lost of eggs in frame cells.

This will be a good time to give the new Swarm Bandit a test drive.

Offline efmesch

• Gold Member
Re: No need for swarm traps when you have Swarm Bandit. .
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 12:54:20 pm »
For the uneducated [like me], please explain how it is supposed to work and what management practices are necessary during its use.

Offline kebee

• WorldWide Beekeeper Emeritus
  • Gold Member
  • May GOD be with us
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 12:56:57 pm »
 Looking to see how this works for I was thinking of getting one of those, be watching this thread.

Ken

Offline tefer2

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 01:15:45 pm »
http://orrbeesupply.wix.com/obs/swarm-bandit#!__swarm-bandit
How would you know that the queen is still in the little box when you close the door?
She didn't want to leave in the first place. Most likely snuck back it!  :D

Offline efmesch

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 01:39:14 pm »
Looks interesting.  For the sake of being "the devils advocate" I'll ask:
1. What guarantees that the queen (who has been dieting in preparation for swarming) will not be able to fit through the same spaces the workers can (and fly off with the swarm)? 
2. What guarantees that the queen will enter the "trap" when the bees try to swarm?  As I understand it, the queen doesn't lead the swarm but joins it.  If the bees don't move off, maybe she'll stay back in the hive.

Having said that, I'll add: the idea looks good and, like Kebee, I'll be following this thread for reports on how it works in practice.

Ray

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 02:06:43 pm »
C.C. Miller's Fifty years among the bees(?)
(If I remember correctly what I read.)
Mr. Miller clipped his queens wings. When they swarmed it was without the queen. The swarm would then return to the colony after spending some time waiting for her highness. In the confusion of a large bee yard, the swarms would mingle and Mr. Miller would be in fear that, one of the hive would release a virgin queen and the huge swarm(s) would accept her.

Offline Yankee11

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 04:42:37 pm »
Ive been in contact with the beekeepers that patented this. they said they have tested it for 3 years and had other beeks testing it.

The queen leaves the hive and enter the box where she gets trapped. The swarm hangs off the front of the box. If you don't get to it that day the queen and swarm goes back into the hive at night, next day they try again. after about 3 or 4 days the new queen in hive hatches and one usually kills the other.

You check it and find the swarm hanging on the box, you slide the trap door closed. then you take the box and slide in the entrance of a new empty hive and by the end of the day the queen will leave trap and go into new hive.\

We will see.

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 05:05:16 pm »
I think it's like the old time queen trap made of woodstays that i have? the problem they had with this one, it got packed with drones along with the queen.Not many on here know's what i'm talking about except iddee, tec, rat, G3, you know, the old guy's. :D Jack

Offline tefer2

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2015, 05:29:15 pm »
If this contraption really worked, everybody and their brother would already have one.
I'm with Jack on this one. An old idea reinvented for new beekeepers!

Offline Yankee11

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2015, 06:49:57 pm »
I emailed them about the drones.

They said they did not cause a problem. These don't get left on the hives all summer. They said there is a step up to get into this trap box and the drones end up on the bottom boards and don't clog. Kind of like turning you entrance reducer upside down. The dead bees stay on bottom board and the bees crawl over them to get out.

We will soon see if this thing works.

29 bucks. If it catches one swarm it pays for itself.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2015, 11:23:44 pm »
29 bucks. If it catches one swarm it pays for itself.

Agreed, watching with interest!
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Dunkel

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2015, 09:20:08 pm »
Can't wait to see if it works.  Beekeepers love a gadget me included.  The problem with beekeepers though is they will spend 500 dollars on tools to make a 30 item just to justify the purchase after buying  the item. Me included.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2015, 09:32:57 pm »
From C.C.Miller's fifty years among the bees;

One morning, five or six of us, who had occupied the same bed-room the previous night during the North American Convention at Cincinnati, in 1882, were dressing, preperatory to another days work. Among the rest were Bingham, of smoker fame, and Vandervort, the foundation mill man. I think it was Prof. Cook who was chaffing these inventors, saying something to the effect that they were always at work studying how to get up something different from anybody else, and, if they needed an implement, would spend a dollar and a days time to get up one "of their own make" rather than pay 25 cents for a better one ready-made. Vandervort, who sat contemplatively rubbing his shins dryly replied: "But they take a world of comfort from it." I think all bee-keepers are possessed of more or less of the same spirit. Their own inventions and plans seem the best to them, and in many cases they are right, to the extent that two of them, having almost opposite plans, would be losers to exchange plans.

It held true then, and it holds true now!
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline robo

• Beekeep On!
    • Ramblings, Rants, & Ravings
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2015, 10:06:06 pm »
could not find the queen but I know she still in theer, Q cells were not capped yet and saw a lost of eggs in frame cells.

eggs means she was there in the last 3 days, no guarantee she is still there.

This is not a new concept.  Kelley sold a similar, more compact device in the 70's.   A lot of things look great on paper but turns out the timing is so critical it is more of a PITA than the worth.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline quest

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2018, 08:01:10 pm »
I found some swarm cells yesterday and could not find the queen but I know she still in theer, Q cells were not capped yet and saw a lost of eggs in frame cells.

This will be a good time to give the new Swarm Bandit a test drive.

I know this is an old thread...am interested on anyone's experience with the Swarm Bandit

Offline Barbarian

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2018, 01:16:43 am »
Thorne.co.uk offer a similar trap.
A footnote on their catalogue ... "needs daily attention".
" Another Owd Codger "

Offline efmesch

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2018, 02:26:55 am »
Quest, I have no experience with the swarm bandit, but I did notice that this was your first post so allow me to welcome you the the forum.  I hope you have good experiences here and maybe someone will even give you some good info in the swarm bandit.

Offline quest

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2018, 08:26:15 am »
Thank you,
I am a hobbyist beekeeper with 2 hives...I am going into my third Spring...my first was the initial set up, my second was engulfed in swarm drama after a very warm winter. I am hoping for a better experience with more knowledge, equipment on hand, and a very cold winter

Offline efmesch

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2018, 09:19:46 am »
It sounds like you're starting right---two hives is ideal for beginners (but you are no longer in that category!). 
It also sounds like you have a lot of good stories to share, when you want.  Swarms are all very exciting, especially when you first have to deal with them.  Capturing them is one of the most enjoyable activities in beekeeping and no two swarm experiences are exactly alike.
You are written down as "Location: US"  That covers a lot of territory and includes areas with cold winters and warm winters, (Maybe his year it's all cold).  Could you be a bit more specific about your location and update the information in the forum records.  Often, understanding situations and responding intelligently to questions is dependent on knowing just where you are located to understand the climatic influences on the hives.

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2018, 06:43:04 pm »
Welcome to the forum, Quest!

As ef said, knowing where you are will help with answers down the road.

Besides, we are all really family here, and like to know where our brothers and sisters live.
Never argue with drunks or crazy people