Author Topic: My Inner Sanctum  (Read 2322 times)

Offline rober

• Gold Member
My Inner Sanctum
« on: April 16, 2018, 09:04:39 am »
I should have taken before photos. picture stuff leaning against every cabinet & toolbox & the floor being cluttered. the workbench surfaces had not seen daylight in at least a year. I've been lowering the blade & putting a piece of Masonite on top of the table saw & using it for a work surface.

The following users thanked this post: CBT

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
Re: My Inner Sanctum
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 09:40:34 am »
Wow beautiful woodstove!   Having that in the same room I had my saws and other woodworking equipment would be BAD, very bad! I am occasionally ankle deep in sawdust!
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 04:16:46 pm »
Thanks for the tour, Rober.

Never seen that particular stove pattern before. It's beautiful.
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 08:57:21 pm »
the stove is a buck's gem #28. buck stoves were made in st louis. I bought this at a farm auction in berger mo around 1975 for $40.00. I've seen 2 others online but never 1 in the flesh. it's a dandy. I consider it to be a work of  functional art. this summer it will get a good cleaning & a coat of stove polish. here it is april 16th & I had a fire going. did anyone noticed the 1948 Gibson on the bench? it's getting some extensive work done to it.
lazy- I made about 3 drums worth of sawdust in the last 10 days. I blow the sawdust off of the stove & keep flammables far enough away. it is a worry but I keep my guard up.

Online Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2018, 08:31:26 am »
I noticed the 1948 Gibson!  Do you play?
I just came across the thread rober.  Sorry for the late response.

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2018, 12:03:53 pm »
45 years of carpentry have been hard on my fingers. mostly from arthritis. but I do still try. I have repaired stringed instruments for 45 years as well. the main reason I posted the photos was to have a record of what my work tops are SUPPOSED to look like. I just put together a 1911ish vega cylinder back mandolin so I might play around with that. the Gibson needs most of the bracing reattached. they made 2 versions of this guitar. one had 90* cross bracing on the top & the other was X braced. i'm going to remove the back & convert this one to X bracing. I really love Cajun music & i'm thinking about getting a couple button style accordions & learning to play them ( they are key specific like harmonicas ). it would be less painful to finger those than a fretboard.

Online Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2018, 01:24:08 pm »
Very impressive, rober.  Yes the button style accordion would be a lot less painful.  I thought about learning that a few years back.  I played the fiddle for a while and took lessons for about 3 years.  While I was recovering from knee replacement surgery, I couldn't get into practicing.  It was comfortable and the pain pills made me lethargic.  I never picked it back up.  I hate to admit that now the horsehair on my bows have all fallen out on one end. 
Keep us posted on the Gibson.  My husband was impressed.  He plays and has 4 or 5 guitars.

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2018, 04:31:35 pm »
I just sold an original dandelectro single pick up electric. they're not well known but they made the old sears silvertone guitars. I had a 1967 D-18 that was stolen. I still rue that day. i'm also getting ready to reset the neck on a late 40's Kay arch top f hole electric acoustic jazz guitar if you know anyone interested it will be for sale soon. it has that Django Reinhardt sound.

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2018, 08:31:36 pm »
I think you need a few more tool boxes rober  ;)
Lee_Burough

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2018, 05:57:37 am »
lou-I've actually been culling a lot of tools. over the years I worked residential, light commercial, commercial, industrial, bridges, & drove piling. i'd be running high end trim & on the next job i'd be installing robotics in a car plant. over the years I accumulated a lot of specialized tools, many of which I no longer use so i've been selling them & things that are duplicate or triplicate or........those tool chest were bought off craigslist & contain automotive, carpenter, plumbing, electrical, & some machinists tools that used to be in small portable boxes & were a lot harder to organize. then there are the stringed instrument specialty tools & clamps. I have a lot of clamps. the box on the right is mostly full of guitar & violin parts, tuners, fret wire, etc.

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2018, 01:40:14 pm »
You can never have too many tool boxes!  :)
Lee_Burough

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2018, 10:52:30 am »
Hi Rober, first thing I noticed was the Gibson.

Our garage/workshop resembles yours depending on how many projects we have going on at the time. Then we clean it all up and it's so nice. Then bee season happens..........
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Riverrat

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2018, 06:55:41 pm »
My eyes popped out of my head when I seen the stove.  If you ever want to part with it let me know.  I would give you a nice return on your investment ;D
"no man ever stood so tall as one that  stoops to help a child"

Forum Supporter

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2018, 08:59:44 pm »
i'm toying with the idea of finding a foundry willing to reproduce it. I have no doubt there would be a market for it.