Author Topic: coating plastic foundation  (Read 4699 times)

Offline rober

• Gold Member
coating plastic foundation
« on: May 22, 2018, 07:33:12 am »
what techniques have y'all used to recoat plastic foundation with wax?

Offline Some Day

Re: coating plastic foundation
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 10:08:05 am »
I melt wax in an old crock pot that I bought at Goodwill.  The crock pot is designated for wax only.  I then use an old paint brush and paint the plastic with the melted wax.  You want to do this out side, not in the kitchen.

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 10:34:40 am »
I use a plumer's Torch on mine. :laugh: :laugh:

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 11:06:09 am »
if you've read any of my threads you'll see that anything I do in regards to wax or making syrup is done outside. I guess i'll invest in an inexpensive bristle brush. I tried one of the wood handled throw away brushes & the bristles melted. I tried pouring wax on & spreading it with a heat gun & even on low heat it warped the foundation.

Online Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 03:16:41 pm »
I melted wax, I think in a crock pot.  I used a small sponge paint roller and went across the length of the foundation a couple of times.  It goes very fast that way.  Those sponge rollers are 4 to 5 inches from end to end.  They are inexpensive too

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 12:26:12 am »
On frames that the bees have striped the wax off I use a block of bees wax and cold rub it on the foundation, it cotes the edge of the cells and encourages the bees to draw the cells out.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline CBT

• Gold Member
  • Age gets better with wine
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 09:18:07 am »
You can use the old crockpot and a 3 or 4 in paint roller. When finished just let it harden on the roller and put in a plastic bag then heat the wax back up and put the roller back in it and ready to apply.

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 12:31:23 pm »
I have heated water in a very tall pot and added wax, (about 160-175 F).  The melted wax floats on top.  I dip the foundation, and sometimes frames with foundation, in the hot bath of wax and it adheres to everything.  Bees take to it readily.  Don't spill it while it's hot!  :)
Lee_Burough

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 11:20:14 pm »
rober, heat the wax, whatever method.....crockpot, double boiler, micro,  yeah micro works long as you don't set it on fire........ :D
get some of those inexpensive paint rollers, dip it in the wax, roll on, good to go.
i use the double boiler method, in the shop/garage on a hot plate so i can cover frames quickly and not worry about slops in the kitchen or 'waxing' my kitchen floor, or...... starting things on fire........ :D

i have also done as apis suggested with a block of beeswax for stripped areas and cold rubbed on. for full frames of plastic foundation, (and i do use waxed peirco, i put extra on), i will run an extra layer of wax on.
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2018, 07:31:28 pm »
I went with the small roller. it worked just fine. I use a hot plate & a heavy saucepan from goodwill.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2018, 11:28:10 pm »
I melted wax, I think in a crock pot.  I used a small sponge paint roller and went across the length of the foundation a couple of times.  It goes very fast that way.  Those sponge rollers are 4 to 5 inches from end to end.  They are inexpensive too

Yep!   when done, let the wax harden, when you need to do more, set the roller into the crockpot of hot wax and in a few mins your good to go!
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2018, 09:31:29 am »
Lazy- sent you a P.M.

Online Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2018, 07:33:28 am »
I went with the small roller. it worked just fine. I use a hot plate & a heavy saucepan from goodwill.
Thanks for letting us know how it went.

Offline robo

• Beekeep On!
    • Ramblings, Rants, & Ravings
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2018, 07:32:40 pm »
On frames that the bees have striped the wax off I use a block of bees wax and cold rub it on the foundation, it cotes the edge of the cells and encourages the bees to draw the cells out.

:yah:

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2018, 08:39:53 pm »
what about spraying with sugar syrup after coating with wax? I've heard that can help as well.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2018, 11:07:18 pm »
and the bees might be inclined to lick the syrup off and ignore the freshly waxed foundation you just provided them........ :D
it might and might not rober, depends on your circumstances i guess, and many variables.

or were you asking if spraying sugar syrup to cold rubbed foundation with stripped wax would help?
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Online Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2018, 07:52:51 am »
what about spraying with sugar syrup after coating with wax? I've heard that can help as well.
I have heard of that, but haven't tried it.

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2018, 08:35:50 am »
i'll let y'all know. it's curious how they'll draw out one plastic frame & ignore another. the bad part of when they ignore one is that they'll build some sporadic comb on the plastic & build out the frame next to double wide.

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2018, 01:11:29 pm »
I have never had bees draw snakes or not draw out beeswax foundation :no: But have when i used Perry, plastic foundation :yes: The beeswax takes longer to install BUT, by the time you find out if the bees have or have not drawn out the plastic and have too scrape off the snakes( beeswax drawn in streaks ) and coat the plastic with beeswax you could have installed what bees want (beeswax) :yes: I tried plastic when it first came out and liked the way you just snap it in and your done :o But ended up loosing some hives and a honey crop??? I will have too say it was probably my fault for for not keeping a closer eye at what was going on. We have people in our club that swear by plastic foundation???  Maybe it's my bees that have some of the same genes i started with(in 1965)
 and are like me, SET IN OUR WAYS> :yes: :laugh: :laugh:Jack

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2018, 05:09:38 pm »
I definitely prefer wax foundation but inherited some plastic frames buying equipment in a buy it all or nothing deal. I've had better luck with white plastic foundation in medium & shallow frames & white plastic frames. it's mainly the black deep frames that they do not seem to care for. like brooks said they draw that out in snakey patterns & if the wood frame/wax foundation is next to one they draw that out to where it nearly touches the foundation of the plastic frame making a double mess. if they don't draw them out this time i'm putting them in some nucs i'm selling in the spring..........that was a joke......i'll toss them.