Author Topic: Field Trip to BlueBlood's Bee Yard Awesome Day!  (Read 11599 times)

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/scottshoneyandlipbalms
Field Trip to BlueBlood's Bee Yard Awesome Day!
« on: December 31, 2013, 06:23:44 pm »
This was one of my favorite "bee" days this last season.  Thought I would share it with those of you who I haven't met since this forum started:

They called it "Scott's Bee Farm." Which is just as fine a name as any. I hosted a field trip for the Middle School's special needs class today in my bee yard. This is the school in the city I police. I was able to teach them in class one of the days I worked security about bees. I thought it was awesome having a big yellow school bus in my drive personally! I was very impressed with the vocabulary their teacher has taught them over the past month. They enjoyed a walk through the wild flowers in the field. Saw bees working hard on the asters and goldenrod collecting pollen and nectar. Butterflies and other pollinators were hard at work also. The numerous other insects like crickets and hoppers were overpowering even the handsome level of speech 20 young children can produce! I opened up the yellow top bar and brought a frame of bees and capped honey to them to see up close. And, a very rare treat, the queen made an appearance! All of the children were able to see her up close which was very cool! See a photos of her below. I took a top bar full of capped honey back to the house and cut chunks of sweet honey comb for all to enjoy. MMMM, GOOD! A couple young men said they wanted to keep bees someday. I was very honored and humbled to teach the children about the honey bee. And, no stings!!  This is what it's all about and makes all the hard work with keeping worthwhile.

http://s267.photobucket.com/user/jossenbella/library/2013%20Field%20Trip%20to%20the%20Bee%20Yard

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
Re: Field Trip to BlueBlood's Bee Yard Awesome Day!
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 07:33:01 pm »
Congratulations!  We did a similar thing back in the 70's, but we were only one block from the school so the kids walked over.  I confined a hive of bees with a glass window on the top and set it in the yard for easy viewing.  My son still remembers it today.  Again, you have an unusual platform to speak from, glad you use it for bees and the kids too.   :)
Lee_Burough

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 08:15:56 pm »
Great pictures, fantastic memories.
Well done!
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Finally Home

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 08:19:33 pm »
Good on you.  I'll bet that was just an awesome day for the kids too!!  Sure sounds like you had a great time.  Hope you can do an annual outing for them.
Thanks for sharing that  :)

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 09:47:35 pm »
blue this was awesome the first time i saw them and even more so for me now.....these are just fantastic photos and thank you for sharing!
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Marbees

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 11:56:43 pm »
Great pictures, a noble thing to do. Thumbs up blue  8)
Bee Remarkable

Offline BoilerJim

• https://www.facebook.com/jim.taul
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 12:48:08 pm »
Thanks for sharing, Dave. That was really neat.
Jim (BoilerJim)
Proud Member (Hoosier Division)

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 05:47:01 am »
Dave, Good on ya buddy!! That is just a god thing to do and sounds like you might have planted a few seeds for future beekeepers. Awesome!!
Bees are bees and do as they please!

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.