Author Topic: Greetings from North Dakota  (Read 10978 times)

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
Re: Greetings from North Dakota
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2016, 11:25:21 am »
been there, done that on the remodeling thing..........we took a break from it last year, will start again soon. 

nice walleye!

i caught about a 40-45 pound king salmon on a fly rod in alaska last summer!  what an awesome experience!
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Chip Euliss

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2016, 04:33:43 pm »
Kings are strong fish.  Caught a few when I was in school in Oregon.  They jump all the time except when you get a hook in their mouth!
Chip

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2016, 09:10:13 pm »
yes, they are strong fish chip, broke a few off in ak, but sure was treated to that nice big one. what a thrill though.  used to fish for salmon in nw montana in the rivers and flathead lake, long before the fish and game made a decision and everything changed after that........now no salmon.

fishing is just plain fun!
Forum Sponsor

Offline Chip Euliss

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2016, 10:59:22 pm »
Yep and a good thing to teach kids.  Both mine fish as does my 8-year-old granddaughter. 
Chip

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2016, 11:04:27 pm »
It wasn't all fish and game. Dams for power production, flood control down river, and to save water for irrigation during the summer. the salmon can not get back to their original spawning beds. Not to mention the miles of spawning rivers destroyed due to now being bottoms of lakes.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline Chip Euliss

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2016, 08:09:44 am »
It wasn't all fish and game. Dams for power production, flood control down river, and to save water for irrigation during the summer. the salmon can not get back to their original spawning beds. Not to mention the miles of spawning rivers destroyed due to now being bottoms of lakes.

Very true and they are filling with sediment so also have finite lifespans.  A few dams have been removed in places and the results for migratory fish, like salmon, have been positive.  The natural process of transporting sediment downstream has also been compromised due a lack of sediment for critical deltaic processes like wetland development, etc.  The area we fish in Louisiana looses a significant area of wetland areas that provide nursery habitats for fish each year.  We've changed the world and won't know the full consequences for some time. 
Chip

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2016, 11:13:20 pm »
"It wasn't all fish and game. "

yes it was keith..........montana fish and game decided they wanted more, and more tourist money so they introduced mysis shrimp to boost salmon population into flathead lake and whatever rivers (flathead watershed and other) the salmon were running in the late 60', early 70's i think, i don't remember now.

it backfired. flathead lake had a great population of lake trout, and other species. mysis shrimp also competed with and took over zooplankton (salmon's preferred food. it's complicated to describe but in short the introduction of mysis shrimp decimated the salmon population that we had and other native species, besides the salmon; the bull trout population.  you can find many articles about this subject, and it has nothing do with dams or flood control.
just one of those things where montana thought they could expand the salmon population and by doing so, decimated it.  or just one of those things where the fed/state gov thought they could 'fix' or 'improve'..........

i remember the last time i saw a salmon run in glacier park in the early 80's on a river.......very cool, eagles lined up in the trees, bears wandering around and kokeenee salmon running thick.  i remember fishing for salmon in flathead lake and other rivers.............no more.........
sad but true. 
Forum Sponsor

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2016, 12:54:20 am »
You are right it was in the 1920's  & 30"s that they screwed up the Columbia with dams. They also introduced the shrimp in to valley bottom lakes in the Okanagan and found the same thing happening. Now there is a commercial shrimp harvest to keep them in check the fish for about a month in January the shrimp are froze and sold to pet stores and aquariums for fish food. A few years ago I heard the shrimp are worth 1.4 million annually.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline Chip Euliss

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2016, 09:37:47 am »
Humans have made lots of changes that have altered the way our contemporary ecosystems work and most have had unintended outcomes.  There seem to be 2 basic schools of thought in the conservation community: 1) the group that wants to revert to pristine, and 2) the group that wants to maximize some outcome of some service like a fishery, flood control, etc.  I don't fall in either since the first isn't achievable because you can never get rid of all the things that we've introduced or changed, plus things change all the time and restoring something to what it once was doesn't account for natural change.  The second school of thought generally isn't sustainable (like dams, etc) because they eventually lead to an endpoint where it either takes tons of money to fix them or it is all but impossible to fix.  I would like to see more focus on how best to sustain our contemporary ecosystems given the disturbances (physical and biological) we've introduced.  I think the next generation of natural resource science and management will focus more on using natural processes to sustain ecosystems.  Hope so anyway!
Chip
The following users thanked this post: riverbee

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2016, 10:02:23 am »
There in lays the problem, the more people the more that will be taken away from nature to make life easy for those in the big cities. Most of us on this forum could live without elec, cars, trucks, tractors, indoor pluming,running water, ect. Take that away from city folk and? Well it would bed a night mare. The earth can only support so many living things. :o Jack

Offline Bee Commander

• Bee Commander
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2016, 10:17:35 am »
Welcome Chip!
The following users thanked this post: Chip Euliss

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2016, 01:00:21 pm »
Chip:

You are one of those people that just brings fresh air to the forum.  We are fortunate to have your knowledge of life science and your beekeeping expertise on our forum.  Your presence elevates us as a whole.  Thanks for your ever courteous and knowledgeable posts on our forum.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2016, 01:32:08 pm »
AMEN
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Chip Euliss

« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2016, 02:23:16 pm »
Thanks Lazy and Iddee!  I'd also like to say that I've really enjoyed this site.  I found it looking for someone with experience with a commercial size oxalic acid vaporizer and found a great bunch of folks instead--I've been enjoying the site ever since!  I do tend to be frank at times, but try not to be Jesse or James!!!
Chip

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2016, 09:38:14 pm »
exellent post chip, so very true!

"Humans have made lots of changes that have altered the way our contemporary ecosystems work and most have had unintended outcomes.  There seem to be 2 basic schools of thought in the conservation community: 1) the group that wants to revert to pristine, and 2) the group that wants to maximize some outcome of some service like a fishery, flood control, etc.  I don't fall in either since the first isn't achievable because you can never get rid of all the things that we've introduced or changed, plus things change all the time and restoring something to what it once was doesn't account for natural change.  The second school of thought generally isn't sustainable (like dams, etc) because they eventually lead to an endpoint where it either takes tons of money to fix them or it is all but impossible to fix.  I would like to see more focus on how best to sustain our contemporary ecosystems given the disturbances (physical and biological) we've introduced.  I think the next generation of natural resource science and management will focus more on using natural processes to sustain ecosystems.  Hope so anyway!"

Forum Sponsor