Author Topic: Hello from Lotus Land  (Read 3892 times)

Offline tinandglass

Hello from Lotus Land
« on: November 25, 2015, 07:23:53 pm »
I stood in a swarm about 15 years ago. I had a neighbour who moved in that had filled his small backyard with langstroths. That first spring his bees swarmed, a lot. I was that fearless neighbour who'd stand in clouds of thousands of flying bees, and/or begging to help put the bees back in the box once they settled, which was typically in neighbours apple tree.

I have one hive, and I'm now scared of getting stung. Go figure.

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: Hello from Lotus Land
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 08:50:57 pm »
Let me say welcome to the forum first. nice to have another BC beekeeper among us. are you in a area effected by the small hive beetle? Just an other pest we will need to be aware of. I kind of like bee stings so...
I have one hive, and I'm now scared of getting stung. Go figure.
being around swarms of bee is enjoyable and exhilarating. Seldom ever wear a veil, over 30 years since had on gloves or a suit. It comes down to what ever you are comfortable with to keep you calm so the bees stay calm.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline tinandglass

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 09:49:42 pm »
When I first got the hive I was working barehanded, but then one day out in the garden a guard bee came along to tell me off. I ignored her warnings so she called in reinforcements ... I ran away from six measly bees (heh).  Then there was the poor girl who hitched a ride on my lower back into the house after an inspection, I didn't even know she was there until I swatted.

I really like to go back to being gloveless, but I haven't figured out how not to overreact to (the fear of) being stung.

I like the sound of them.

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 09:57:56 pm »
Welcome Tin,

I have found that thin latex gloves work great. The beekeeper gloves were too desensitizing. Most jobs I use no gloves at all but if they have stores to guard they can get a little testy. :) Neill
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline kebee

• WorldWide Beekeeper Emeritus
  • Gold Member
  • May GOD be with us
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 07:40:24 am »
 Welcome tinandglass to the forum hope you enjoy your stay here.

Ken

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2015, 07:51:45 am »
Welcome to the forum tinnedglass.  Like you, I don't like being stung so I suit up with jacket and hood and gloves.  Again, welcome aboard.

Gypsi

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2015, 11:16:59 am »
Welcome! I live where africanized bees are common, and I have other allergies but not bees. I suit up when opening hives in hopes of not becoming allergic. But I will walk through a swarm without a suit

Offline Riverrat

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2015, 01:27:48 pm »
welcome aboard
"no man ever stood so tall as one that  stoops to help a child"

Forum Supporter

Offline tinandglass

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2015, 03:03:06 pm »
Hi Neill, I tried a single pair of nitrile gloves, but they can sting through those. Eventually I wound up using mechanix cotton gloves with rubberized palms with nitrile gloves over top because the palms are black.  It works well most of the time, but every so often a glove will get pinched under a frame. On the upside if my fingers get too sticky with that gummy wax/propolis stuff from handling the frames I can toss on a new pair.

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

Offline Les

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2015, 09:06:00 pm »
Welcome to the forum!  I am a newbee beekeeper and I too had the fear of getting stung.  I got so frustrated with gloves that I finally decided to work the hives sans gloves.  If you work slowly, the bees don't seem to be quite so "anxious" and tend to leave you alone but you just need to get stung....and discover that it is not as bad as you envision it would be.  Granted, sometimes it does hurt differently depending on where you get stung.  I took four stings in one hand one day and decided enough was enough, closed it up for the day and walked away.  Some days they tolerate us and other days they don't.  I never work without a veil though, I hear from the beeks on this forum that it hurts like the dickens and swells.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2015, 01:31:16 am »
welcome to the forum tinandglass!  love the name!!!

i don't think any of us relish being stung...........it's typically unpleasant, for some more than others. some of us think nothing of it, yet tell some pretty funny stories about being stung or share pix!..... it is a 'hazard' of keeping bees.......LOL! but in time i think your fear will dissipate, and once you become more confident.

there is no shame in whatever we wear, fully geared or not, it's all relative to each individual beekeeper. once you find your way, you will be good to go.
gloves or no gloves, different types of gloves, although i do recommend at the very minimum, wearing a veil and using a smoker.  there are many types of gloves out there, a softer goatskin or calfskin can give protection without bumbling heaviness.

if it is any consolation, i am highly allergic to all stinging insects, developed several years ago and have been going through bvt injections since, and probably will for sometime.   i still keep bees, but i wear full gear now. veil, coveralls and gloves. i have adjusted.    i use a glove mann lake sells and like them very much......they are/were called 'meyers gloves', made of goatskin, very soft an supple, with a nylon sleeve.  i think mann lake still sells these gloves? 

like les said, some days the bees don't mind and some days they do...........it's true. we just pay attention to that and work them accordingly, to their nature and maybe our needs...........or for some of us (won't mention names)............ maybe not!!!!....... :laugh:

hope you enjoy the forum and look forward to reading your posts!

i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline tecumseh

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2015, 07:00:23 pm »
welcome aboard tin&glass...  curious name.

I would suggest that there is no time that I feel closer to god than when at some magical time in the spring of the year as I step out of my pickup truck in one of my out yards early in the morning and suddenly realize I am right in the middle of a hive swarming.  at that time no gloves, veil or smoker is required.   I guess a real beekeeper's bees are never suppose to swarm but I always have this warm feeling of success when one of mine does.

my wife has cousins who rear cattle at the upper end of the fraser river.   quite beautiful country up that way.