Sustainable Living > Farm Livestock

Chaffhaye

(1/1)

The15thMember:
One of our local farm stores started carrying Chaffhaye and my sister decided to try feeding it to her goats because she's heard so many good things about it.  Both the bags we purchased have sections of what looks like mold in them.  We were told by a neighbor who also feeds it that this is normal, since the feed is fermented, but these sections just don't look right and they don't smell good either.  Now this morning one of the goats is off her feed and has a low temperature, things that could be indicative of a fungal disease like goat polio (yes, goat polio is fungal, it's sort of a misnomer). 

Does anyone on here feed Chaffhaye?  What have your experiences been with it?  Is it normal for it to look like this (pictures below)?

Bakersdozen:
15th, Have you called the farm store to ask about this?  That looks like mold to me.

The15thMember:

--- Quote from: Bakersdozen on September 18, 2023, 10:58:20 am ---15th, Have you called the farm store to ask about this?  That looks like mold to me.

--- End quote ---
It only appeared after my sister opened the bags, so it's something that developed in the feed, not something that was there when we bought it.  She is going to get another bag and store it differently and see if it happens again, because it just doesn't seem right. 

Bakersdozen:
It looks like it got wet at some point or was green when harvested. 
I would still show the store your pictures, ask their opinion, and bring it to their attention, and ask the ideal conditions to store the bags.  If warranted, they can contact the distributor and so forth.  There may be a knowledgeable employee at the store.  Sometimes you get lucky.

The15thMember:
My sister bought another bag and right in the top when she opened it was a giant gross mass of white and black mold, so she called the store and apparently we aren't the first to complain.  The store has only been selling Chaffhaye for about 6 months and apparently other people have returned several bags because it was moldy.  My sister is feeling somewhat disillusioned with it, but we may try buying from another store before we just give up on it.  (This farm store doesn't have the best reputation with us.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version