Author Topic: Veteran's Day: USDA pod cast Fridays on the Farm  (Read 4082 times)

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Veteran's Day: USDA pod cast Fridays on the Farm
« on: November 10, 2018, 09:26:14 am »
In honor of Veteran's Day, here is a story about a veteran who used farming and beekeeping to help overcome PTSD.
https://nrcs.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Cascade/index.html?appid=5be6236885fe41c581f49d8605021e25
The article concludes with USDA programs that are available to soldiers that are returning home and trying to start a new career.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
Re: Veteran's Day: USDA pod cast Fridays on the Farm
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 10:51:15 pm »
bakersd......
read about this program before, read some of the heartbreaking stories of the participating vets and how farming and keeping bees has helped them with PTSD.

pretty cool
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2018, 08:35:36 am »
Our local bee club has established a Veteran's scholarship program.  It is pretty much identical to the youth scholarship program we have.  The  Veteran has a mentor, also a Veteran, and receives wooden ware, bees, bee suit, smoker, etc.  In return the club asks that they be an active member of the club for 2 years and give a presentation about the beekeeping journey.  Our veterans have suffered some type of injury or psychological injury.
There is also a program near Manhattan, KS. entitled S.A.V.E.  It's a program for veterans.  The veterans make and sell wooden ware products in addition to other manufactured beekeeping products.  They have a beekeeping program called Golden Prairie Honey.  https://www.goldenprairiehoney.com/  This page tells all about their program. 
I have bought  several of the telescoping lids and I think they will outlast me!

Offline CBT

• Gold Member
  • Age gets better with wine
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 10:06:38 am »
We have helped farmstead trainer get bees and equipment. He helps train vets to become self sufficient farming. We were proud.